News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

International call exit code 011 not working correctly with a Cordless phone

Started by Prince, April 25, 2019, 07:05:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince

I am trying to call a # in Japan. So I dial on the cordless brick phone:

011 81 123456789

On Obihai Call History, it shows "To SP1(01181123456789)"

However, I don't get the Japanese dial tone and the call does not go to the right place.

It's not a problem with the phone number or not having google credits because if I dial it directly from Google Hangout/smartphone, dialing +81123456789, the call goes through as normal.

There seems to be a problem with how Obihai handles this 011 or be able to understand I want to be dialing to Japan. Obihai doesn't seem to understand that... When I dial it through the cordless phone/Obihai, I do get the "This call will be handled by Google Voice and the call will be 3 cents per minute" but it does not route to the correct place. What is causing this issue? Is there a way to just dial +81 through the cordless phone or create some sort of shortcut so I can just dial a Japanese phone number directly and it will go through?

drgeoff

1.  You will not get Japanese dial tone at any stage of the call.  VoIP doesn't work like that.  The only dial tone is generated within the OBi.  (Unless you are dialling some "dial through" access number in Japan.)

2.  If the OBi's Call History is showing SP1(01181123456789) there is nothing amiss with the Obi's handling of the call attempt.

3.  What number or tone do you actually reach?  What does GV's call history show?

N7AS

Add {(<011:+>xx.):sp1}, to the begining of the Phone Port DigitMap.
Don't forget the comma at the end.
You can still prefix the number with 011 that will transpose it with a + that Google Voice will accept.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

Prince

Quote from: drgeoff on April 25, 2019, 10:54:58 PM
1.  You will not get Japanese dial tone at any stage of the call.  VoIP doesn't work like that.  The only dial tone is generated within the OBi.  (Unless you are dialling some "dial through" access number in Japan.)

2.  If the OBi's Call History is showing SP1(01181123456789) there is nothing amiss with the Obi's handling of the call attempt.

3.  What number or tone do you actually reach?  What does GV's call history show?

1. Sorry, I meant, I get the Japan ringing tone (it's different from US ringing tone) if the call goes through correctly; it sounds like this https://audiojungle.net/item/japan-standart-telephone-ringing-tones/19582975

If I hear the regular US ringing tone, I know it's not really outbounding the call to Japan and seems to just be dialing 01181123456789

It shows I am dialing SP1(01181123456789), but when I get a call from that same person it shows From SP1(+81123456789)

What exactly does PH1 stand for? I assume that is the phone hub/the cordless phone and SP1 is the service provider/Google Voice?

Prince

Quote from: N7AS on April 26, 2019, 01:02:23 AM
Add {(<011:+>xx.):sp1}, to the begining of the Phone Port DigitMap.
Don't forget the comma at the end.
You can still prefix the number with 011 that will transpose it with a + that Google Voice will accept.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with Phone Port DigitMap... I found it under User Settings -> User Defined Digit Maps

But do I uncheck "Default" and insert that code to the very front line of 'DigitMap' in Digit Map1 that's labeled 'ipd'?Currently, it has (xx.<*:@>xx?x?<*:.>xx?x?<*:.>xx?x?<*:.>xx?x?|xx.<*:@>xx?x?<*:.>xx?x?<*:.>xx?x?<*:.>xx?x?<*::>xx?x?x?x?)

or do I create a new label under "Digit Map2" and just add that command/code under DigitMap?

What exactly does that shortcut code do? It will allow me to just dial the Japan number without having to put in 011 first?

N7AS

No, it does not go in the User Defined  DigitMap.

Go to Physical Interfaces > PHONE1 Port
Enter the code I provided at the beginning of the Phone Port DigitMap

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

azrobert

Quote from: N7AS on April 26, 2019, 08:41:01 AM

I think you mean Phone1 OutboundCallRoute
The OP also needs to use OBi Expert to make this change.

Prince

Quote from: azrobert on April 26, 2019, 08:47:04 AM
Quote from: N7AS on April 26, 2019, 08:41:01 AM

I think you mean Phone1 OutboundCallRoute
The OP also needs to use OBi Expert to make this change.

Does it go in DigitMap or OutboundCallRoute?

In DigitMap, it's

([1-9]x?*(Mpli)|[1-9]S9|[1-9][0-9]S9|911|**0|***|#|##|**70(Mli)|**8(Mbt)|**81(Mbt)|**82(Mbt2)|**1(Msp1)|**2(Msp2)|**3(Msp3)|**4(Msp4)|**9(Mpp)|(Mpli))

In OutboundCallRoute, it's
{([1-9]x?*(Mpli)):pp},{(<##:>):li},{(<**70:>(Mli)):li},{(<**82:>(Mbt2)):bt2},{(<**81:>(Mbt)):bt},{(<**8:>(Mbt)):bt},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**3:>(Msp3)):sp3},{(<**4:>(Msp4)):sp4},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Also does this code make it so I don't have to dial 01181 every time or does this code just adds if I'm dialing + when I dial 011?

N7AS

It does go into the OutboundCallRoute. I was doing this from memory. Oh, I forgot I have CRS (Can't Remember Stuff).

You will still dial 011 before the number. This makes it easier to do. Try finding the + key on a phone. I have never seen a + key on any phone in the last 70+ years.

Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ

Prince

Quote from: N7AS on April 26, 2019, 09:06:07 AM
It does go into the OutboundCallRoute. I was doing this from memory. Oh, I forgot I have CRS (Can't Remember Stuff).

You will still dial 011 before the number. This makes it easier to do. Try finding the + key on a phone. I have never seen a + key on any phone in the last 70+ years.

But isn't the default way of dialing 011 basically adding + anyway so isn't it redundant/code is unnecessary? Yes, there's no way to dial + on a cordless phone, but how is adding that command actually going to dial + for me? Isn't dialing 011 basically the same as + regardless of the code? When I check the call history, it still shows as 01181123456789 and I don't see it actually dialing + for me.

I'm entering that code, but every time it needs to reboot to save the changes, it just reverts back to default. How do I permanently save it? I also disabled OBiTALK auto-provisioning.

Edit: I believe the settings saved after several tries.

drgeoff

I repeat. What does GV's call history show? https://voice.google.com/calls

+ is the conventional way of indicating that you must dial the international access code before the other digits.  The international access code is not the same in all countries.  Sometimes even different between service providers in the same countries.  Most of Europe uses 00. N.America typically uses 011.  I believe GV uses 011.

Prince

Quote from: drgeoff on April 26, 2019, 09:43:57 AM
I repeat. What does GV's call history show? https://voice.google.com/calls

+ is the conventional way of indicating that you must dial the international access code before the other digits.  The international access code is not the same in all countries.  Sometimes even different between service providers in the same countries.  Most of Europe uses 00. N.America typically uses 011.  I believe GV uses 011.

I noticed the failed calls in GV Call history were dialing to (811) 234-5678 instead of 01181123456789... seems to strangely somehow left out the 011 and the last digit 9... even though I was always dialing 011 first

I'm not sure why the dialing was glitching then... problem with Google or Obihai's server end? I'm guessing it must have been some issue/glitch with Google because on Obihai Call History the dial was sending the correct number 01181123456789

I am able to place calls now and GV Call History is showing +81 12-345-6789

But I really don't think that code makes any difference or is necesssary. I tested it again removing the code, dialing the Japan number, and adding code again and dialing Japan number and the results were exactly the same.

I understand + is essentially the same as 011 (but since old cordless phone doesn't have a way to dial + symbol, you have to use 011).  

drgeoff

1. Conventional legacy phone systems do not use, do not transmit and do not understand the '+' symbol.  The only characters supported are 0 to 9, * and #.   The '+' is intended for human use to give a universal way of writing full international phone numbers.  Some equipment is capable of recognising the '+' symbol and either acting on it appropriately or converting it into the correct characters in the [0-9,*,#] set that subsequent equipment needs.

2.  As I wrote in the first reply, if OBi's Call History is showing SP1(01181123456789) then that is what it is sending to GV.  If GV is then mangling that to something else, then either GV does not want 011 as the international access code or it has some other bug. 811 234 5678 is a NANP (North America Number Plan) number.  That would indeed have given you a different ring tone than the usual Japanese one!

drgeoff

Quote from: Prince on April 26, 2019, 10:23:35 AM
I'm not sure why the dialing was glitching then... problem with Google or Obihai's server end? I'm guessing it must have been some issue/glitch with Google because on Obihai Call History the dial was sending the correct number 01181123456789
Once you have used the Obitalk portal to configure your OBi device to use GV, no server run by or on behalf of Obihai has any role in making GV calls.

Prince

Quote from: drgeoff on April 26, 2019, 10:37:56 AM
1. Conventional legacy phone systems do not use, do not transmit and do not understand the '+' symbol.  The only characters supported are 0 to 9, * and #.   The '+' is intended for human use to give a universal way of writing full international phone numbers.  Some equipment is capable of recognising the '+' symbol and either acting on it appropriately or converting it into the correct characters in the [0-9,*,#] set that subsequent equipment needs.

2.  As I wrote in the first reply, if OBi's Call History is showing SP1(01181123456789) then that is what it is sending to GV.  If GV is then mangling that to something else, then either GV does not want 011 as the international access code or it has some other bug. 811 234 5678 is a NANP (North America Number Plan) number.  That would indeed have given you a different ring tone than the usual Japanese one!

Yeah, I understand (811) 234-5678 was calling a US number and + is a shortcut as if entering 011...

What is the point of the {(<011:+>xx.):sp1}, code then? Because even with that code, when you look at Obihai dial history, it still show as 01181123456789

I don't see how adding that code is "faster" or is a shortcut to anything...

azrobert

Quote from: Prince on April 25, 2019, 07:05:53 PM
Is there a way to just dial +81 through the cordless phone or create some sort of shortcut so I can just dial a Japanese phone number directly and it will go through?

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap
Add the following after the beginning parenthesis:
<+>81xxxxxxxxx|+81xxxxxxxxx|

Now dial 81123456789

Try letting the call connect, even when you don't hear the Japanese ringback tone.

Edit:
The person called hears a ring tone and the person calling hears a ringback tone. These are not necessarily the same.