News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

babyTEL And OBi202 On Wireless

Started by LostInJersey, May 01, 2019, 10:30:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostInJersey

Without having to give a long, complicated story, after registering for a VOIP service babyTEL out of Montreal with offices in the United States, I cannot configure it without getting the message "Service Not Configured" in my Dashboard, meaning that I have to delete it so that I can still use my only working telephone number on Google Voice.  What device is this page looking for so I can configure it?  The last two times I tried to telephone babyTEL, the number on which I contacted them for the past two days no longer works.  Since the last time I tried it I rebooted my OBi device.  I have not tried it since.  On these forums I did not come across anything about using that service with this device.  Also, my being interested in acquiring a VOIP telephone, which one is appropriate for residence as opposed to business?  Thank you.  Now for a newer development, a babyTEL technician just advised me that the wireless adapter that I have in back of my device, OBiWIFI5G, prevents their service from connecting to the OBi202.  Does that sound possible to any of you?  I am going to take a break after all this because I really need one.

drgeoff

If that is what the babyTEL technician told you he is completely mistaken.

azrobert

How are you defining BabyTel? Are you using OBi Expert or one of the wizards?

LostInJersey

I designated babyTEL as a Generic Service Provider.  For OBi Expert or another wizard I saw no option.

azrobert

You correctly used the Generic Service Provider wizard to define BabyTEL. When using OBi Expert to define a trunk, it always shows "Not Configured" even if the trunk is defined correctly and working. That is why I asked the above question.

I couldn't find an example setup for an OBi, but this link shows the necessary info.
https://ca.babytel.net/configuration/babyTEL-Asterisk_PBX_Configuration_Guide-(CU-v4).pdf

I think this is how it should be defined:

Configuration Name: BabyTEL
Service Provider Proxy Server: sip.babytel.ca
Outbound Proxy Server: nat2.babytel.ca
Outbound Proxy Server Port: 5065
Username: (Supplied by BabyTEL)
Password: (Supplied by BabyTEL)

I never setup BabyTEL, hopefully the above is correct.

LostInJersey

I will report back later as there seems to be much to implement here; but I thank you for contributing to the cause of ending my four-month disconnection from the telecom world.  After I do this, I will post as to whether or not the use of these configurations was successful as babyTEL has a configuration page that likewise requires similar entries.  I will try to do it as soon as possible because a technician I am not familiar with wants to do a remote session which make me apprehensive.  Also, it might interest the company to know that this service, babyTEL, charges $4/month for the use of one's own equipment, being in this case the OBi202, connected with wireless adapter OBiWIFI5G.  Having now reviewed the PDF document, the displays there do not resemble what I see in my account for the service.  Maybe that is the display that their business customers get.  Some of the settings you found are in the document, which looks like program code for developers.  I do not know what to put in the field URI, but entered everything else in appropriate fields.  After hitting Save the status of SP2 still reads, "Service Not Configured."  Looking at my babyTEL account, I cannot tell what data is missing.  It's about time I telephoned babyTEL.  Maybe it is all configured, in which case all we need to do is test it.  "Whoa" I just noticed something after hitting Save.  The status now reads "Register Failed: 407 Proxy Authentication Required."

LostInJersey

I did not want such a large paragraph posted all at once; so I will report back to what happened with a technician on the line.  He access the address I obtained for the OBi202, an older version of which he owns.  After I gave him the address 192.168.1.136, he accessed the finer settings that are more detailed than on the Dashboard.  After that what I gathered every time I restart my device, I loose settings.  He got off and compared my settings with his.  Then he proposed to send me a refurbished adapter, which I refused and for which I would have had to pay the shipping.  It is a brand from whom I refuse to buy another device.  He also wanted to wipe out my Google Voice settings.  Having a router, serving as an access point, with telephone jacks, the Linksys RT31P2, though outdated but which they give away free on their site, he proposes to try and connect through that.  I may require another telephone set just to connect to that.  What should be simple is now turning out crazy!  During the night I left a voicemail with babyTEL to cancel.  That remote session was too rigorous for it to fail to connect to their services.  It is now morning and I am tired out remembering it.  This connection should have been more simple.  Callcentric emailed me and wants to get started.  They are more likely to succeed.  You may either close this thread or remove it altogether since it did not lead to a favorable conclusion.  Thanks to all who tried to help.

LostInJersey

I neglected to mention something that I am going to need clarification.  babyTEL technicians said that rebooting the device was bad because powering up the device again would cause it to loose settings and disconnect.  So, why doesn't that happen with all network devices?  I routinely power cycle my network after running security programs and deleting temporary files.  babyTEL advises against restarts.  This certainly is new.

drgeoff

Quote from: LostInJersey on May 03, 2019, 07:13:48 PM
I neglected to mention something that I am going to need clarification.  babyTEL technicians said that rebooting the device was bad because powering up the device again would cause it to loose settings and disconnect.  So, why doesn't that happen with all network devices?  I routinely power cycle my network after running security programs and deleting temporary files.  babyTEL advises against restarts.  This certainly is new.
My previous reply in this thread applies here too.

LostInJersey

drgeoff, thank you.  That makes the purchase worthwhile.

pissedoffcustomer

So is the solution to 'The number you called has not received a response from your service provider' is to not use a wireless router?

drgeoff

Quote from: pissedoffcustomer on June 24, 2019, 08:24:02 AM
So is the solution to 'The number you called has not received a response from your service provider' is to not use a wireless router?
The solution depends on what is causing the problem.  The lack of information you have given and my inability to read minds means I am currently unable to advise you of a likely solution.

However, I would doubt that using a wireless router has any bearing on the matter.  You can test that by dialling **9 222 222 222.  If you are answered with "Welcome to Obitalk ...." and can hear you own voice echoed back to you there is nothing amiss with your OBi's connection to the internet.

LostInJersey

I have not been on this thread in over a month, it seems.  There was another thread I started, "No Phone Help In New Jersey."  Close to when that one ended Callcentric hooked me up.  babyTEL and I are history, their having made things too complicated and treating Polycom customers differently though being a "bring your own device" service.  For me finding the right provider was a "hit and miss" process until I contacted Callcentric.