News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to use fax machine on a home network with OBi 200 using its wireless adapter

Started by Endopax, April 29, 2019, 07:45:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Endopax

Hi,

I have Google Voice working very well with my OBi 200 VoIP adapter as a landline replacement.  I am using the wireless adapter for the OBi because of the location of my router/modem and cordless phone base.  Is there any way I can still use my home networked HP OfficeJet fax machine to send and receive faxes without a wired phone line connection between the Obi 200 and the fax machine?

Thanks in advance for your help.

drgeoff

To send and receive faxes over the GV line or any other SIP service on the OBi - no. Connecting your printer/fax machine by wireless will not work.

Endopax

Thanks, drgeoff, for your reply.  I had a strong suspicion that things would be as you stated.  For the very occasional times I need to send a fax, will connecting the OfficeJet to the OBi200 on demand with a standard RJ11 telephone line cord allow for sending faxes.  Will I first need to go to "Add Device" on my OBi dashboard and dial **5 6097 from the OfficeJet's virtual keyboard?

Thanks again for your help.

azrobert

Sending a fax using VOIP may or may not work. You just have to try and see what happens.

You can't add the fax to OBiTalk as a device. Just plug the Line port on the fax into the Phone port on the OBi200. Now send a fax.

I haven't used a fax for years. If I need to send a document, I use the scanner function on my multi-function printer to create a file and then send it via email attachment.

drgeoff

Quote from: Endopax on April 29, 2019, 09:00:14 PM
Thanks, drgeoff, for your reply.  I had a strong suspicion that things would be as you stated.  For the very occasional times I need to send a fax, will connecting the OfficeJet to the OBi200 on demand with a standard RJ11 telephone line cord allow for sending faxes.  Will I first need to go to "Add Device" on my OBi dashboard and dial **5 6097 from the OfficeJet's virtual keyboard?

Thanks again for your help.
The **5 nnnn procedure is only for registering OBi devices to the portal. And the required nnnn digits are different every time, even if you are re-registering an OBi that you had previously registered and deleted.

Endopax

Quote from: azrobert on April 29, 2019, 10:07:17 PM
Sending a fax using VOIP may or may not work. You just have to try and see what happens.

You can't add the fax to OBiTalk as a device. Just plug the Line port on the fax into the Phone port on the OBi200. Now send a fax.

I haven't used a fax for years. If I need to send a document, I use the scanner function on my multi-function printer to create a file and then send it via email attachment.

I have also used my scanner extensively as you delineated, but the challenge for you and all of us is the fact that many businesses and organizations will not provide an email address for a number of reasons but will provide a fax number for customers, clients, and patients to use.  Accordingly, these entities have failed to enter the modern era and insist on using antiquated analog fax machines.  I am then required to scan documents to my PC, and then use PC-to-fax for transmission.