News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 as an adapter to use analog landline over internet (forget about GV)

Started by Pesebrero, May 03, 2019, 01:13:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pesebrero

Pretty much self explanatory. I'm aware the Obi110 is not supported anymore. But I intend to give to it the exact opposite use than everyone wants. So, instead of using a voip line like GV with an analog telephone, I just want to use my analog landline over the internet, from my cellphone. I know I could use a specific adapter like Magicjack, but right now I can get the Obi110 dirt cheap.

To summarize, I want to:
- Use the Obi110 as an adapter to connect my home landline.
- Connect the Obi110 to the internet (do I need an additional service and/or server?).
- Use an app in my cellphone for incoming and outgoing calls.

azrobert

Yes, you can do this.

Do you mind using the OBi110 Auto Attendant to make outbound calls? You would register a softphone to a free SIP provider and dial a number connecting you to the AA. The AA would ask what you want to do.

Do you have an Android or iPhone?

Using an Android softphone plus a complex setup can be used to bypass the AA. Don't know if this still works.

You can use PBXes.com to bypass the AA. This will cost a one time $15 fee to open an account.

Inbound calls are not a problem. Register a softphone to a free account and route calls to it.

Edit:
You can also use the OBi110 to filter calls. You can use NoMoRobo to block known spam callers or use a blacklist.