News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Using Obi110 as sole extension with FreePBX?

Started by delta.kilo, May 05, 2019, 04:22:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

delta.kilo

Can an Obi110 be connected to FreePBX (RasPi) and be the single sole extension that's able to receive and make calls via PSTN? In other words - a one POTS phone, home use, no other VOIP phone extensions whatsoever setup.

I get that that's not exactly what a PBX is designed for but with so many annoying bozzo callers these days well .......... Lenny gets a lot of joy filling in for me :)

At the moment I am using an Obi110 on the home phone for incoming PSTN calls and all outgoing going out via VOIP. This is working fine.

Now however, my PSTN telco is including all local, interstate & mobile calls for free and as such, will not really be needing VOIP to do cheap calls.

I have followed the FXO & FSO setup tutorial stickie in this thread but damned if I can get it to work. If I run a (X-Lite) Softphone extension on my PC, no worries, the softphone can receive & make calls through PSTN. Using my analogue phone connected to the Obi though results in disconnects and failed calls. The vast majority of posts I've seen do tend to make use of other VOIP phones and I haven't seen anything hinting towards my very simple desired setup.

The Auto Attendant on the Obi does a great job of keeping out scammers and nuisance calls but I'm really drawn to the added flexibility of the FreePBX IVR, time conditions and Voice Messaging capabilities.

azrobert

Is there a reason why you're sending outbound to FreePBX? You can send outbound calls directly to the Line port.

You have a VOIP provider, so I assume you're only using one SP to communicate with FreePBX and not connecting the same as X-Lite. Correct?

delta.kilo

I think you've misunderstood my concept azzrobert :)
I want all calls to come in on the Obi line port and go out through the Obi line port using only an analogue (cordless) phone connected to the Obi110 phone port.

The role of FreePBX will be as a replacement for the Obi AA because FreePBX has a much more versatile IVR for call screening, DND handling & voice message abilities.

I have been (still am for another week) using the Obi to do VOIP outbound calls but my telco now provides free calls through PSTN so will have no need for VOIP anymore.

drgeoff

What you want to do is possible. Use both SP1 and SP2. One to connect the analogue phone as an extension on the PBX. The other as a trunk on the PBX.

delta.kilo

Quote from: drgeoff on May 06, 2019, 01:25:44 AM
What you want to do is possible.....

Possible and finally working. Murphy had flicked on SRTP encryption  ::)