News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID Name showing sometimes on incoming PSTN calls

Started by peterman, September 22, 2011, 06:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterman

I have setup OBI using land line via PSTN port for incoming/outgoing local calls and GV for LD calls.
When I receive an incoming call from the land line (via the LINE port) 50% of the time I loose the Caller ID Name(shows blank) but I always get the Caller ID Number.
May be I need to tweak some setting on the device, any help or suggestion will be appreciated.Thanks

RonR

Quote from: peterman on September 22, 2011, 06:56:22 AM
When I receive an incoming call from the land line (via the LINE port) 50% of the time I loose the Caller ID Name(shows blank) but I always get the Caller ID Number.

Are you saying that you have a phone connected directly to the PSTN line as well as a phone connected to the OBi PHONE Port and the OBi's phone is missing CallerID name but the one connected to the PSTN line displays it?

Since the CallerID name is supplied by the PSTN line, that's the only way you could confirm the problem is with the OBi.

ProfTech

You might need to increase the setting Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> RingDelay. It defaults to 4 seconds but maybe your PSTN provider takes longer.

peterman

No RonR, my Land line goes to the LINE port (OBI device) and my house phone system is connected to the PHONE port (OBI device), when I receive an incoming call from the land line the OBI is supposed to just bridge it over the PHONE port, but for some reason sometime the CNAME is not forwarded but the CID is always forwarded, it propably has to do with a delay that the OBI takes to pass the call to the PHONE port.

RonR

Quote from: ProfTech on September 22, 2011, 09:55:10 AM
You might need to increase the setting Physical Interfaces -> Line Port -> RingDelay. It defaults to 4 seconds but maybe your PSTN provider takes longer.

CallerID display is not affected by RingDelay:

Quote from: obi-support2 on March 17, 2011, 08:10:45 PM
The good news is, in the upcoming 1.2 release, we have improved our implementation by allowing the device to pipeline the caller-id signal as soon as it is decoded to the phone when it is already ringing. That way your caller-id can still be shown even if RingDelay is 0 (but you still cannot do caller-id directed call routing).

RingDelay only affects the processing of InboundCallRoute rules based on CallerID:

RingDelay : Delay in milliseconds after initial ring detected on the LINE Port before the device acts on the call (to route it according to InboundCallRoute). This value could be 0 so that the call is handled immediately. However, you should consider setting it to a large enough value to allow OBi to completely decode the PSTN Caller-ID signal if the service is available on the PSTN Line. This is required if the InboundCallRoute relies on Caller-ID information to route the incoming call.

RonR

Quote from: peterman on September 22, 2011, 11:16:32 AM
No RonR, my Land line goes to the LINE port (OBI device) and my house phone system is connected to the PHONE port (OBI device), when I receive an incoming call from the land line the OBI is supposed to just bridge it over the PHONE port, but for some reason sometime the CNAME is not forwarded but the CID is always forwarded, it propably has to do with a delay that the OBI takes to pass the call to the PHONE port.

I think you missed my point.  Unless you have verified that CNAME is present on the LINE Port side of the OBi when it's missing on the PHONE Port side of the OBi by having a CallerID capable phone on each side (for testing purposes), you don't know for sure that CNAME was actually present to start with.

The OBi doesn't pass CallerID to the PHONE Port.  It decodes it from the LINE Port and re-encodes it to the PHONE Port.

peterman

I just connected the OBI device yesterday before that I was only using it for LD via GV.
I know for sure that certains CNAME are always displayed with the CID (from my friends) and now some CNAME are not displayed. I will connect another phone directly on the land line and see what it gets from the provider and what the OBI will have on the log. I will report late. Thank you

RonR

Also, make sure it's your telephone comapny that's providing the CNAME and it's not your phone that's matching an incoming number with it's contact list and displaying the contact name from there.  You can do this by temporarily altering the name in your phone's contact list and seeing if the displayed name changes when that person calls.  Checking the OBi's Call History is also a good idea.