News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi212 vs Obi200+Obiline

Started by blueman2, May 09, 2019, 11:15:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueman2

I have an Obi200 that I was going to install for my elderly parents.  I want to use Google Voice to monitor and filter callers trying to take advantage of them.  But I have decided it would be best to retain their landline for 911 calls rather than using a 911 VOIP service.  My choices are 1)buy Obi212 or 2)buy Obiline for my Obi200.  I have heard some people reference problems using ObiLine with the Obi200, such as echo.  What do you suggest?  Cost is not a big issue and I do not mind throwing away the Obi200 if the Obi212 is better choice. 

Also, with either, how easy is it to configure which calls go to POTS line vs Google Voice?  I want to route 911 to POTS, but all others to GV.  And hopefully, not force my parents to dial any special prefix when doing so.  I want them to be able to use just as they always have, oblivious to the change I am making. 

Thanks in advance for your help. 

ProfTech

First off, I have a brand new Obiline adapter that I would ship you for 1/2 the new price and I'll pay to ship it to the US if you want to experiment. I used an Obi 110 [the older brother of the 212] for years with a POTS line and it worked well if configured carefully. Never used the adapter so I make no statements about how well it might work. I saw another post that suggests it may have been discontinued by Polycom. If you're interested send me a private message and I'll contact you.

azrobert

The OBi212 is about $30 more than an OBiLine. If cost isn't a factor, I would buy an OBi212.

It's just a check box for a VOIP provider to define them for emergency calls. I don't have an OBi212, so I don't know if the same is available for POTS. If not, it's just a simple 1 line change in OBi Expert. All calls will go to GV except 911 to POTS.

Your parents will still get spam calls from POTS. The OBi212 can block all inbound POTS calls, but I don't think that's a good idea. You can use NoMoRobo service on the OBi212 to block Spam from POTS. I'm using an OBi110 to block POTS spam. I just check my call history for the last 3 days and NoMoRobo blocked 73% of spam calls. I don't think it's normally that high. When a call is blocked by NoMoRobo it still rings once.

A 3rd option is to keep using POTS for all calls and use the OBi212 + NoMoRobo to block spam.

Edit:
If you use the 3rd option voice quality won't be an issue, so you can use the OBiLine adapter. The phones would be connected directly to POTS and the OBi connected using a splitter. The OBi would just be used to send calls to NoMoRobo.

blueman2

Thanks, @ProfTech and @azrobert!  

I think I will just go with the Obi212, but thanks for the generous offer on the ObiLine ProfTech!  Since the Obi212 is a pretty new box, I figure it will get longer term support.  

My current thinking is to forward the ATT landline/POTS number to the GV number using ATT's forwarding service.  That way, all calls can be filtered by GV.   I gave it a try, and it appears the correct originating number does indeed come through (as opposed to my parents' POTS number that I am using just to forward).  

I may just have all outgoing calls to through the POTS line, since I am less worried about monitoring the calls they make out vs the calls that come into them.  That way, should they lose internet service, I am hoping they can still make outgoing calls regardless (??).  

azrobert

I think that is the best approach. They would be able to make calls with the internet down. You also won't need any changes for 911. The OBi110 default for outbound is POTS. The OBi212 should be the same.

If they lost power they might not be able to make calls. The old version of the OBi110 had a relay, so when power was lost it would get hard wired to POTS. I don't think the OBi212 has this feature. You could keep one phone connected directly to POTS for this reason.

blueman2

Quote from: azrobert on May 09, 2019, 01:50:09 PM
I think that is the best approach. They would be able to make calls with the internet down. You also won't need any changes for 911. The OBi110 default for outbound is POTS. The OBi212 should be the same.

If they lost power they might not be able to make calls. The old version of the OBi110 had a relay, so when power was lost it would get hard wired to POTS. I don't think the OBi212 has this feature. You could keep one phone connected directly to POTS for this reason.

Yup, you read my mind.  I was going to use a Y adapter on the POTS line, one going to Obi212 and other going to a dumb phone (no power required).  Then they will always have an emergency phone.  I will probably paint it red!!

It is really sad that we have to do this for our elderly, but there are just so many scams and they do fall for them.  Tracking and blocking calls is the only way I know to reduce the risk of them falling for a really big scam. 

ProfTech

That sounds like a good plan. I used GV for about 1 1/2 years but never experimented with their Spam blocking feature. If it doesn't work to your liking you might consider porting their POTS number to Callcentric and using the great telemarketer blocking features they offer for free. But you'll lose the backup POTS capability. In our area local calls were free on ATT so I routed all local calls to POTS and long distance to Callcentric. It worked great but having the POTS line just for backup could be a big drag on the wallet. Be forewarned though, people have been reporting a lot of problems with the "New" GV that is apparently in place now.

*Edited* You will have to test it for yourself but I thought I remembered reading that they brought the failover relay back in the 212 so you might not need the Y adapter and separate phone.

blueman2

Quote from: ProfTech on May 10, 2019, 03:49:58 AM...You will have to test it for yourself but I thought I remembered reading that they brought the failover relay back in the 212 so you might not need the Y adapter and separate phone.

Well, I ordered a Obi212 from Amazon, but got the 202.  Returned it and ordered another one.  And got the 202 AGAIN!!  Amazon apparently has some issue where their system thinks the 212 and 202 are the same box.  So still waiting. 

But I did run across this info, which seems to indicate it has a mechanical relay that will connect FXO (line in) to FXS (phone) on power loss, as you suggested.  That would be VERY nice feature!!  I will confirm once I finally get Amazon to send me the right thing....

Works with Up to Four (4) VoIP Services
T.38 Real Time Fax over IP
High Quality Voice over IP Technology
Built-In FXS Phone Port with 5 REN
Built-In FXO Line Port with Relay to FXS on Power Loss
Built-In Router with QoS for VoIP Traffic Prioritization
USB Port for Use with OBiWiFi5G Wireless Adapter, OBiBT Bluetooth Adapter or Storage Device
OBiTALK Web Portal: The OBiTALK Web Portal allows you to manage your OBi endpoints and your Circle of Trust.
The OBiTALK portal helps OBi users configure, add services and manage their OBi devices with ease.
Call Forwarding on All Calls, Busy Calls, Forward on No Answer
Caller ID – Name & Number
Call Waiting
Call Transfer
Block by Caller ID
Automatic Call Back
Do Not Disturb
Conference Calling
Anonymous Calling
Message Waiting Indication - Visual and Tone Based[/li][/list]

Marc

Did you ever get the Obi212 working with the POTS line?  I don't seem to find any instructions on how to do it.  Anyone have it working who could tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Marc
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.

drgeoff

Quote from: Marc on June 17, 2020, 07:07:17 PM
Did you ever get the Obi212 working with the POTS line?  I don't seem to find any instructions on how to do it.  Anyone have it working who could tell me how to do it?

Thanks,
Marc
What's the problem?

Marc

Thanks for the reply.  I finally figured it out using these instructions here:
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13651.msg90916#msg90916

Also, I can confirm the 212 does have a relay switch.  I unplugged the 212 and the phone defaulted to making calls over the POTS line.

Thank you.

Quote from: drgeoff on June 18, 2020, 01:50:22 AM
Quote from: Marc on June 17, 2020, 07:07:17 PM

Thanks,
Marc
What's the problem?
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.