News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

USB File-Sharing Setup

Started by JamesN, May 11, 2019, 02:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesN

Hi, I'm not making much progress with setting up USB file sharing on my OBI 202 (and quite frankly the documentation is not very generous) so I hope someone out there can help me.

1. There is zero mention of USB file-sharing on the LAN ip-address admin page.  ...?  Could we at least mention it? "Try the ObiTalk page, bro."

2.  My ObiTalk page "advanced options" do have some USB sharing options.  I set those, hit submit and even reboot, and http://[my ip]//obi_share returns
Quote"The requested URL was not found!"

Can anyone out there shed some light on what I did to deserve this punishment?  Drive format?  Port forwarding (It's behind a router)?  Karma?  No longer supported?  No longer fashionable?

Thanks

drgeoff

AIUI file sharing has been dropped from recent firmwares.

See page 183 of  http://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf for original documentation.

azrobert

What type of devices do you want to share the storage?

DD-WRT router firmware has a USB Storage sharing function. You just need a router supported by DD-WRT. If you have an old/extra router, you can define it as an access point with USB storage. This way you don't have to mess with your main router.

You can share Windows Public user's files.

I've used the above options with Windows 7 and 10 machines.

drgeoff

Quote from: azrobert on May 12, 2019, 10:50:47 PM
You just need a router supported by DD-WRT.
And that router needs to have a USB host port. Many old routers do not. Some really old ones have a squarish USB socket. That is not a host port and will not work.

Note that an OBi202 or a router may not be able to supply enough power for a hard disk that does not have its own PSU. The 202 facility was only designed for lowish capacity flash drives.

azrobert

Quote from: drgeoff on May 13, 2019, 12:09:20 AM

Note that an OBi202 or a router may not be able to supply enough power for a hard disk that does not have its own PSU.

A hard drive fail to work with my DD-WRT router, but it was able to power a 120GB SSD drive. I used a SATA to USB cable.