News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

dsl and obihai

Started by danmastin, May 13, 2019, 07:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danmastin

My internet connection is dsl. I want the phone connection coming off the Obi to  use the house phone lines so that  all the phones in the house ring. is this possible?
Will a dsl splitter/filter work to separate the lines?
Thanks

SteveInWA

You would need to discontinue the voice telephone service associated with that phone number, leaving only DSL service on the wires coming into your house.  You'd then use a DSL splitter on EVERY phone jack, including the one on the OBiTALK device, unless the splitting is done for you at the demarc box (the box on the wall where your phone/DSL service enters your premises.  Your phone company may or may not offer DSL-only service, also known as "naked DSL".  You'll have to ask them.

ProfTech

You can also keep your phone service if you want to. Use an Obi 212 to support both VOIP and your POTS line. You can use a single DSL splitter and feed the whole house if you have someone capable wire it. I had our house wired that way until a year ago. ATT offered free local calls in this area so I configured the Obi to send local calls to the POTS line and long distance calls to VOIP. Also kept my 911 service service with ATT. Worked slick as a button. If you configure a trunk group you can conference the POTS line to the VOIP line for a conference call. The only reason I switched to "full VOIP" was because the DSL service degraded so much as to even make VOIP not work. But now we're getting fiber so I'm happy.