News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice cutting out after Comcast visit to change signal strength

Started by magicwine, May 14, 2019, 03:27:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicwine

Comcast was here due to an issue with my ethernet connected PC. They told me my signal strength was too strong at 53, and they changed it to 43 which is as they stated, the ideal strength for internet only service (I do not have TV or phone with them).

Without my permission the tech cut or removed several unneeded connections.

Google Voice started cutting out immediately after Comcast visit to change signal strength

On my first call after the tech left, everyone I called was telling me my voice was cutting in and out, yet I could hear them without any issues. So I thought Comcast touched my basement's phone connection to the jack the obihai 200 is plugged into. It is connected to the internet via a Obihai wifi dongle. A returning tech found no issue.

So now I'm thinking it could be their change of my signal strength? I did run one test I saw on an old post here and it was all green for all tests.

Any idea how to fix or determine what the cause is? Today I had two calls where they said there was no cutting out, the other calls did cut out.

Thanks for any help my forum friends can provide!

Bob

Smee

I had the same thing happen to me last week. When I called the house to talk to the wife, she would hear me great and I would hear her cutting in and out. It started happening after a few storms came by causing power issues in the area. I restarted the Obi a couple of times. The problem only seemed to clear up momentarily. I ended up rebooting the router and the problem seems to have fixed itself right after that reboot.

magicwine

Thanks for your reply. However, I had already rebooted my obihai 200 at least 5 times since this happened and my router 5-10 times, even a hard reset, none of this has fixed the issue.

Comcast did change my signal strength from 53 to 43 as they said for internet only service 43 is the correct number. I'm thinking that this may have caused this problem? They are coming today to diagnose this.

Also, starting yesterday about 60-65% of my calls, the person on the other end said I kept cutting out, on the balance of calls all was OK. Previously every call my voice cut out for the  other person, so not sure why the change.

Anyone here have any ideas what to troubleshoot or have the Comcast tech check today? I did run one of the VOIP tests posted in this forum and every test was green.

Marc

I don't know about Comcast, but the usual way I've seen cable companies reduce signal strength is by introducing a splitter or changing the splitter to one with higher loss per split.  If that's what they did, then you can test the theory by taking the splitter out of the equation or putting the original one back.
OBi110 (stored in closet now,) OBi200 x 3, Polycom 200 x 1, OBi202 x 4, Polycom 202 x 2, OBi1032 x 3, OBi1062 x 5, OBi2182 x 3

Combination of GV (consumer,) CallCentric & voip.ms both direct and via Asterisk.