News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi110 reboots on DHCP lease renewal

Started by JohnB, September 22, 2011, 12:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnB

I have noticed that my OBi110 reboots when its DHCP lease is renewed. The reboot is noticeable because the unit makes a loud clicking sound as if some relay is opening and closing. Is this normal (both the reboot and the sound)? I had an OBi100 and didn't notice either of these issues.
I have the Line port connected to my Vonage Linksys PAP2 and SP1 is Google Voice which I am using only on incoming calls to my GV number or by dialing **1 for an outbound call. Thx!

RonR

The OBi110 does have a relay that connects the LINE Port directly to the PHONE Port as a fail-safe when no power is applied to the OBi.  During reboots, this relay does cycle, making the clicking noise you hear.  Since an OBi100 doesn't have a LINE Port, it doesn't have a relay.

The OBi shouldn't be rebooting when a DHCP lease is renewed.  The OBi does reboot when an Ethernet connection is lost and restored.

Is your OBi updated to the latest firmware?  There were some problems with DHCP in earlier versions.

JohnB

Thanks, that answers the relay question.

It turns out that I was wrong about when/why the reboots occur. I saw the new lease time in my router and assumed that obtaining a new lease was causing it. But that new lease was because the OBi had rebooted spontaneously and requested a lease. It just rebooted as I'm sitting here even though there were hours remaining on the lease. So, it must be some other problem.

I saw mention of there being a log file in the OBi but couldn't seem to find one when searching its web page. Perhaps that would tell me more. How do I access it?

I have a Linksys WRT54GL router w/ Tomato 1.28 firmware. The router has been very stable and I do not seem to be losing connections to any of my other wired or wireless devices.

RonR

I've used OBi's with WRT54's running Tomato 1.28 and never experienced any problems, so the router is not likely the problem.

I assume you're referring to Syslog capability:

System Management -> Device Admin -> Syslog -> Server

Set this to the IP address of your PC running a Syslog server.

Unfortunately, spontaneous reboots often occur in such a manner that logging doesn't get a chance to make a record of anything before it occurs.  It's worth a shot though.

If all else fails, reset the OBi to factory defaults and reconfigure it from scratch.