News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Day 1 user trying to set up nomorobo with GV for free

Started by glaucia1023, May 16, 2019, 11:00:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

glaucia1023

Hello friendly folks!

Day 1 user here. 

I still have a landline I will disconnect at the end of the month after I cut all relations with Xfinity (home phone, internet and cable).

My first step was to set successfully set up GV with my brand new Obi202 (I'm still using Xfinity's gateway to access the internet).  I can make phone calls locally (free) and internationally (with GV credits).  At the end of the month I will cancel Xfinity home phone and port my home number to GV (so people can still reach us at home with the same number).  This newbie is proud of herself!

My next task is setting up nomorobo to block robo calls.  How do I accomplish that for FREE?  I perused older threads on the subject and became a bit overwhelmed with the number of new terms.  I am not afraid of going into expert configuration for Obi, but would like more basic explanations of what the process entails. Can someone give me an overview of what is necessary?

Thank you so much in advance helping me get rid of my Xfinity shackles.

Glaucia1023

azrobert

First a definition. Forking is routing an inbound call to 2 or more destinations.

You fork inbound GV calls to your OBi202 phone port and NoMoRobo. If the callerid is in NoMoRobo's database, they will block the call by answering it, otherwise they will produce a Busy Signal and the OBi202 will continue to ring. You can open an account on NoMoRobo, but that's not necessary. I think they assign the same 800 number to everybody.

You need to define a dummy trunk on the OBi202 then fork calls to NoMoRobo using a free tollfree provider.

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> ProxyServer: 127.0.0.1
Service Providers -> ITSP Profile D -> SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> AuthUserName: anything
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_RegisterEnable: unchecked
Voice Services -> SP4 Service -> X_ServProvProfile: D

Assuming GV is defined on SP1
Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute  
ph,sp4(18667326184@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com)
or to ring both phone ports
ph,ph2,sp4(18667326184@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com)

Your phone will probably ring once when a call is blocked. There is a way to delay ringing, giving NoMoRobo time to answer before your phone starts ringing.

You can test NoMoRobo by defining a speed dial:
sp4(18667326184@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=18005551212)

Change 18005551212 to a known good number and call NoMoRobo with the SD.
Now change it to a spam number and repeat.

Edit:
You can just turn on GV's spam filter or use both methods.

Sheffield_Steve

You do know that Google Voice has a method of blocking "spam" calls that is very effective.

i.e. You probably do not need the complication of using nomorobo.

azrobert

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on May 16, 2019, 12:53:04 PM
You do know that Google Voice has a method of blocking "spam" calls that is very effective.

i.e. You probably do not need the complication of using nomorobo.

Apparently, you didn't see my edit at the end of my post.

Sheffield_Steve

I did, but I didn't think it that it was clear to a newbie what you were saying.

glaucia1023

Thank you azrobert and Sheffield_Steve for the more the detailed overview of the forking process.
Following your recommendations I will research the GV spam filter and go from there!

PS: Successfully set up (and tested !) the functionality of Anveo's e911 $25/year service.  This is exciting technology!

Glaucia1023