News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can't get VM remotely from Panasonic phone KX TGE270 answering machine

Started by EarlTheHobbit, May 17, 2019, 08:43:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EarlTheHobbit

When the phone was directly attached to local telco, while traveling I could call the home number, dial in "111" during greeting message, and I could retrieve the voicemail from the Panasonic answering machine.

After cutting the cable, I attached the OBI200 to my Netgear Nighthawk R6900P, GV service, all standard settings. The Panasonic base station is plugged into the OBI200. Nothing is plugged into the OBI's USB port.

Now when away from home, I dial the GV number configured with the OBI, dial "111" during the Panasonic's greeting message, nothing happens. I cannot get the answering machine's messages.
(I don't wish to use GV for messages.)
Other than this one little problem, everything else works great.

Anyone know of a configuration parameter to change in the OBI, Nighthawk, or GV?

Thanks!

PS: I actually use a different number than 111 for the Panasonic remote access code. I have the answering machine trigger after 2 rings. Other than that, all defaults on the Panasonic.

SteveInWA

Google Voice is designed to be used with its own voicemail system, which is much more capable than a 1970s answering machine.  It is not designed to be used as a bare-bones telephone line with a local answering machine.  You cannot disable Google Voice's VM.  Google Voice can notify you of new voicemail messages via email and/or SMS.

All you need to do is to call your Google Voice number from another phone number that is linked as a forwarding number to your Google Voice number.  If you're calling from a mobile phone, just enter your Google Voice's voicemail PIN and #.  If you are calling from a land line number, wait for your Google Voice voicemail greeting to end, then press *, then enter your Google Voice's voicemail PIN and #.