News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Caller ID block and spoofing...

Started by jbuszkie, May 24, 2019, 08:28:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbuszkie

I'm currently using phone power as my outgoing call provider.  Right now we have caller ID block on all outgoing calls.  And when I disable it on a per call basis (*82)?  The call show my GV number which is what I want.  It doesn't show my phone power number.  I have no Idea how I set this up before. This was a while ago. I can't find anything on the phonepower page that allows me to change my outgoing CallerID number.

Does anyone know how this was setup before?  Is this something I set up on the OBI device and phonepower just passes through my GV that I somehow setup?

The reason I'm asking is Phone power added a bunch of charges that was not there previously.
I'm looking to switch to switch to callcentric and I want to know how to set that up so I block my number by default and when I do allow it... I want my GV number to show.  I can't remember how I did this so many years ago! :-)

Thanks,

Jim

drgeoff

Don't you know how to use a search engine? Took less than 15 seconds to find https://www.callcentric.com/faq/31#222

jbuszkie

Yes.  I saw that.  I was also asking how it was setup with phone power.  I read some stuff about pass through.

I wanted to know if that was setup on phonepower side or the OBI side.  I vaguely remember doing some config
with the obi expert settings long ago.

From Callcentric:
To send the caller ID number of a DID on your account or an already verified number within the SIP INVITE
message of an outbound call you will need to have your user agent (UA) attach any of the following headers from
highest priority to lowest priority, which are supported by most IP PBX's (check your vendor's documentation for
support), to your outbound calls:

REMOTE-PARTY-ID
P-ASSERTED-IDENTITY
P-PREFERRED-IDENTITY

When we receive an outbound call from your UA with any of the above headers, and that header includes a caller ID
number that is a DID on your account OR has been verified on your account we will pass that as the outbound
caller ID for that call; over-riding any settings in your Callcentric account preferences.

I assume the UA is my OBi device.   How do I set it up so that it will send those headers?  That's also what I was asking.

SteveInWA

Caller ID presentation or blocking is controlled by the calling service provider, not by your OBiTALK hardware or its configuration, in most cases.  Some service providers allow their customers to send a different caller ID than the one assigned to that registered extension, and this might be controlled either by a user setting on the service provider's website, or by SIP commands.

Geoff's link to the Callcentric FAQ explains this in detail.  Their mention of SIP parameters applies to non-OBi users, using a PBX or other software calling method.

When you set up Service Providers on the OBiTALK portal, it asks you if you want to use that SP as the primary line for outbound calls.  If you check the box, it will route outbound calls through that SP by default.  Thus, that SP's carrier will send your numeric caller ID with the call.  So, for example, if you have PhonePower on SP1, Google Voice on SP2, and you set SP2 to be used as the primary for outbound calls, your outbound calls will display your GV phone number to the called party.

You can use the * commands to unblock caller ID on an individual basis.  If you are using Google Voice, you can also control this in Google Voice settings (https://voice.google.com/settings).

Callcentric doesn't support true anonymous calling.  They don't want to deal with the legal issues associated with anonymous calling for deceptive purposes.  Instead, you can either verify another number you control and use that number as the CID, or use your Callcentric 1-700-xxx-xxxx number (which can't be called over the PSTN), or, if you use the * code for anonymous calling, it will send the Callcentric main phone number instead of yours.

Caller ID on calls to toll-free numbers can't be blocked.

Opinion:  with the explosion in robocalling, most people will not answer anonymous calls, nor should they, so using anonymous calling is not very useful now.  It makes your calls look like spam.

jbuszkie

So it sounds like I must have set up something with phone power a while ago?

Because I get my GV number displayed when I call with my OBi.  I see nothing on the webpage that allows me to set the number..  Only the CNAME.  Maybe I'll search my e-mail to see if I ever contacted them.

Their e-mail support is abysmal right now.  I sent them 3 e-mails the past couple weeks and no response!

SteveInWA

The speed of your reply suggests that you didn't read my post for comprehension.  I already explained this.

You set this up on the OBiTALK web portal.  You can change it there.

jbuszkie

I guess you didn't read my OP.

I know how to setup a SP to make the outgoing calls.

What I don't remember is how/why phone power shows my GV number.

My outgoing call are routed through phone power.  When I enable the caller ID with *82 the calls shows up with my GV number... Not the phone power number. (which is what I want)
I'm trying to figure out how I set that up!  Was it with Phone power or some expert setting with my OBi

Jim

SteveInWA

Come on.  Look at the screenshot I posted.  Go to your OBiTALK dashboard.  Click on your OBi device.  Click on each SP1--SP4 and look for the presence or absence of the check-mark.

jbuszkie

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 24, 2019, 12:58:18 PM
Come on.  Look at the screenshot I posted.  Go to your OBiTALK dashboard.  Click on your OBi device.  Click on each SP1--SP4 and look for the presence or absence of the check-mark.

I have no issue setting a SP for primary outgoing calls.
My primary outgoing SP (phonepower) is not showing my Phonepower number on callerid.  It's showing a different number.  How did I get phone power to show a different number?