News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

internet via client or bridge from miFi

Started by shulem92, May 26, 2019, 02:37:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shulem92

I dont have a hard line for internet in my house, i only have a MiFi on verizon service. I tried setting up a TP-Link access point router to client and i tried bridge with AP. both times my obi200 connects, i get an IP address when i dial ***1 but there is no phone connection. i cant get the echo test to work, nor can i get the device to add to my dashboard. the phone light is off on the obi200.

does anyone know if my setup for the internet is the issue? theoretically after much research it seemed that it should work. if anyone can help me set this up i would be very appreciative. thank you.

i apologize in advance if im in the wrong board, (no one likes a noob who's doing something wrong :))

SteveInWA

I was curious to see if this should/would work, so I just now tested it.

My hardware is different, so I am really only testing whether an OBiTALK product can make and receive calls when its OBiWiFi5G is connected to a VZW hotspot via my VZW Android phone's hotspot feature.

It works great, in fact, amazingly well - as clear and reliable as using the OBi with my FiOS fiber optic Internet service.

So, you've got some other problem.  If you have a MiFi device, why not try connecting directly to that device, without the TP-Link thing, nor any other stuff in the path - just VZW 4G LTE<-->[MiFi input<-->MiFi WiFi access point]<-->OBiWiFi5G.

If that doesn't work, I would not waste any more time trying to troubleshoot what sounds like your first foray into OBi-land.  Instead, take the OBi 200 and a telephone somewhere else, that does have DSL/cable/fiber Internet service and see if it works.  This will rule out some other problem first, and then you can focus on your MiFi problem.

shulem92

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 26, 2019, 04:27:25 PM
I was curious to see if this should/would work, so I just now tested it.

My hardware is different, so I am really only testing whether an OBiTALK product can make and receive calls when its OBiWiFi5G is connected to a VZW hotspot via my VZW Android phone's hotspot feature.

It works great, in fact, amazingly well - as clear and reliable as using the OBi with my FiOS fiber optic Internet service.

So, you've got some other problem.  If you have a MiFi device, why not try connecting directly to that device, without the TP-Link thing, nor any other stuff in the path - just VZW 4G LTE<-->[MiFi input<-->MiFi WiFi access point]<-->OBiWiFi5G.

If that doesn't work, I would not waste any more time trying to troubleshoot what sounds like your first foray into OBi-land.  Instead, take the OBi 200 and a telephone somewhere else, that does have DSL/cable/fiber Internet service and see if it works.  This will rule out some other problem first, and then you can focus on your MiFi problem.
thanx for confirming that it works on the miFi. i was really trying to avoid having to buy the obi wifi piece being that i have the router (access point/bridge) laying around. i guess i just have to buy it

shulem92

update: after doing a little digging i found this on the obi site for troubleshooting "Reboot both your router and the OBi device, then dial * * 9 222-222-222 again. If you are still unable to reach the Echo Test Server, please put the OBi device in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration/ This tells your router to not block any incoming network traffic (from your service provider) to your OBi device. It is safe for the OBi to be in the DMZ (Click HERE to see example).Try adding your device to OBiTALK again."

i logged in to my MiFi and set the DMZ to allow the obi200. i reset the obi200 and successfully got the echo test. i added my GV account and it says connected, but i am unable to receive calls. i can successfully dial out though.
any ideas?

also, i have no idea what dmz is, but is that exposing my entire network? i use my computer off the same MiFi

shulem92

Quote from: shulem92 on May 26, 2019, 09:47:39 PM
update: after doing a little digging i found this on the obi site for troubleshooting "Reboot both your router and the OBi device, then dial * * 9 222-222-222 again. If you are still unable to reach the Echo Test Server, please put the OBi device in the DMZ setting in your router's configuration/ This tells your router to not block any incoming network traffic (from your service provider) to your OBi device. It is safe for the OBi to be in the DMZ (Click HERE to see example).Try adding your device to OBiTALK again."

i logged in to my MiFi and set the DMZ to allow the obi200. i reset the obi200 and successfully got the echo test. i added my GV account and it says connected, but i am unable to receive calls. i can successfully dial out though.
any ideas?

also, i have no idea what dmz is, but is that exposing my entire network? i use my computer off the same MiFi
*79 did the trick. i guess my phone was muted. strange...
i would still appreciate if anyone can clue me inon this dmz business.
thanx for all the help. if anyone needs help with a similar setup, feel free to ask me :)
i feel very accomplished that it works!

Sheffield_Steve

DMZ =  Demilitarized Zone  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_%28computing%29

It's a bad idea to expose your Obi to the internet via the DMZ and you should not need it.

The best case scenario is that you will start getting ghost and other spam calls.

p.s. years ago I used a mifi with T-Mobile and the Obi worked perfectly without being in the DMZ etc.

shulem92

Quote from: Sheffield_Steve on May 27, 2019, 06:57:28 AM
DMZ =  Demilitarized Zone  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMZ_%28computing%29

It's a bad idea to expose your Obi to the internet via the DMZ and you should not need it.

The best case scenario is that you will start getting ghost and other spam calls.

p.s. years ago I used a mifi with T-Mobile and the Obi worked perfectly without being in the DMZ etc.
i should have made myself more clear. i just needed to put my obi into the DMZ for the initial setup. now i took it out. I wouldn't leave an "open" DMZ (especially since its a fake DMZ. i just wanted to know if anything could have happened while it was a DMZ.

Sheffield_Steve

If it works now, then it didn't need to be in the DMZ for the initial setup.  i.e. Something else was wrong.