News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

is this thing the best product comparing with others?

Started by preppystud, September 22, 2011, 02:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

preppystud

so far, i have looked at a few other products, but it seems that this one costs less, and does more things.

are there any other similar products out there that have similar functions with the same price?

i plan to buy this thing today.

QBZappy

preppystud,

The OBi is unique in the sense that it seems to be the only 3rd party hardware which incorporates Google Voice into the product. There are other features which make the OBi unique or not common among other similar products. It does all the basics+ (GV integration, Callback, call routing, free OBi network to connect to others, all the OBi APPS which allow you to use the OBi remotely, Web configuration Wizards, etc...). This is really the poor man's PBX system without the hassle. Setting up dial plans might be a bit of a learning curve, as a few of the other products are more plug n play. However all the help you need can be found on this very active forum.

The OBi 110/100 is a serious little box. Once setup properly it will do all the heavy lifting for you.

Here's an endorsement. Obihai even made it into the Google Voice wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Voice
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

preppystud

what is a pbx?

alright, i have decided that i will buy this product today! ;)

i was a little worried that there might be similar products that i don't know about. i usually like to compare and pick before i make a decision.

Dav3yDark0

I think the OBi devices are currently the best bang for your buck. They have an almost a unique product right now when compared to other VoIP devices, it's more than an ATA but not fully a PBX either. A PBX is a phone switch btw, running software such as Asterisk.

I have been impressed with my OBi110 and I have recommended OBi to others.

Dave

Dav3yDark0

Quote from: preppystud on September 22, 2011, 04:31:23 PM
what is an ata?

ATA = Analog Telephone Adapter, its what connects standard analog telephones to the Internet for VoIP service. Examples are Linksys PAP2, Grandsteam HT502, Ooma, Netalk Duo, etc, etc.

Dave

ProfTech

One thing the Obi 110 has over all the others is the capability to properly interface with your "standard" telephone line from AT&T, Verizon, or whoever. This is not a plus for you if you plan to completely dump your home line. But if you would like to keep it for backup, 2nd line, local calls, etc the Obi is the only device that works correctly for either purpose. The Cisco/Linksys 3102 has a line port but the firmware hasn't been updated in over 3 years and there is bad echo when you use the "home" line. The Obi is much less susceptible to this and with a little fiddling with the settings you can eliminate it almost completely.