News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Intermittent issues with OBi200/GV – Is this normal?

Started by vahighland, May 31, 2019, 08:11:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vahighland

I'm looking into replacing my landline, but need something very reliable due to a number of business calls I take during the week. I installed the Obi200 with a new GV number to test it out for a few weeks.
Out of 24 calls, three have randomly dropped and one had some temporary echoing while delivering my presentations. Call it a ~16% failure rate. I haven't had these issues with a landline.

Is this normal?

In the way of background, I have Google Fiber and did not have Internet issues during these calls. I was presenting my screen and everyone could see what I was presenting at the time. Firmware is 3.2.2 (Build: 5921EX) pre-installed on the Obi200.

SteveInWA

The dropped calls issue was a bug that should now be fixed - not the expected behavior, by any means.

The echo issue could be caused by competition for bandwidth on your LAN while you are simultaneously presenting (you didn't say how you were doing this, but clearly, not via Google Voice, which has no such feature).

Overall, I do not recommend the consumer version of Google Voice for business.  It has no direct customer support, and as you have just experienced, it has occasional outages or bugs.

Google now has a business-class version of Google Voice, tailored for business.  It's an add-on service for G Suite customers.  If you're interested, here is more information:  https://cloud.google.com/voice/

Lavarock7

You might want to test a Voip provider. It might cost you all of $3 for a month to test things. CallCentric or Voip.Ms might be a good test.

For Voip.Ms, you create a free account, fund it with some money, buy a local number (40 cents to buy a number and 85 cents a month to keep it, then a penny a minute or so for calls). So a test using a temporary number lets you explore options and see if the drops and audio issues disappear. If all works fine, then you can port in your existing number (the port is currently free).

Callcentric is a similar process but the prices may differ a bit.

One thing to determine with any provider (including GoogleVoice) is whether they can port in your existing number. Check that up front before proceeding.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

vahighland

Quote from: SteveInWA on May 31, 2019, 08:18:02 AM
The dropped calls issue was a bug that should now be fixed - not the expected behavior, by any means.

The echo issue could be caused by competition for bandwidth on your LAN while you are simultaneously presenting (you didn't say how you were doing this, but clearly, not via Google Voice, which has no such feature).

Overall, I do not recommend the consumer version of Google Voice for business.  It has no direct customer support, and as you have just experienced, it has occasional outages or bugs.

Google now has a business-class version of Google Voice, tailored for business.  It's an add-on service for G Suite customers.  If you're interested, here is more information:  https://cloud.google.com/voice/

Thanks for the quick response. The dropped calls did happen earlier during the few weeks I tried, so maybe I'll keep trying for a few more weeks.

I'm using citrix to log into work and the company uses Skype for screen sharing. I don't have any more issues with Skype remotely than I do in the office. Not saying Skype is perfect, but it works most of the time in office or remote through citrix.

My whole reason for dropping the landline is to save money. My security system uses the landline and that's $12/month. If I drop the landline, the security will need cell backup service for $21/month. Since VoIP doesn't have 911 service, that's another $2/month. If I really need the g business service for another $10/month, I wonder why I'm doing this in the first place.

With all these others fees, doesn't seem like much of a savings.

vahighland

Quote from: Lavarock7 on May 31, 2019, 10:29:57 AM
You might want to test a Voip provider. It might cost you all of $3 for a month to test things. CallCentric or Voip.Ms might be a good test.

For Voip.Ms, you create a free account, fund it with some money, buy a local number (40 cents to buy a number and 85 cents a month to keep it, then a penny a minute or so for calls). So a test using a temporary number lets you explore options and see if the drops and audio issues disappear. If all works fine, then you can port in your existing number (the port is currently free).

Callcentric is a similar process but the prices may differ a bit.

One thing to determine with any provider (including GoogleVoice) is whether they can port in your existing number. Check that up front before proceeding.

More fees lol. I'll keep trying for a few more weeks and see what happens.