News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

2 OBis, 1 SP1, both ring, one out

Started by zzzxxx, September 22, 2011, 09:14:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zzzxxx

Hi all,

I have an OBi 110 at home, VOIP provider on SP1, only line, nothing connected to outgoing telecom line.  All OK.  I have a second OBi 100 that I want to take to Mexico.  I want both OBis to ring on incoming calls, and both OBis to phone out on my OBi 110 at home.  Prefer both act exactly the same, no ** codes, etc.  I have the OBi 110 at home setup for 7 digit local calling, all OK.  Would like both to retrieve voice messages from my VOIP provider (VOIPmyway) the same.  I am not really technically astute, but got this far without too much trouble.  Thanks for any help.  This forum is really helpful.

Jack

RonR

OBi110:

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute : {ph,pp(ob300123456)}

Voice Services -> OBiTALK Service -> InboundCallRoute : {300123456>(Msp1):sp1},{300123456:aa},{ph}

where 300123456 is the OBiTALK number of the OBi100.

OBi100:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile A -> General -> DigitMap:

(<2*>(1xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>[2-9]xxxxxx|011xx.|xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.))

where aaa is your local area code.

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> OutboundCallRoute:

{([1-9]x?*@@.):pp},{**0:aa},{***:aa2},{(<**1:>(Msp1)):sp1},
{(<**2:>(Msp2)):sp2},{(<**9:>(Mpp)):pp},{(Mpli):pli}

Physical Interfaces -> PHONE Port -> PrimaryLine : SP1 Service

User Settings -> Speed Dials -> 2 : PP(ob200123456)

where 200123456 is the OBiTALK number of the OBi110.

Incoming calls to SP1 of the OBi110 should also ring the OBi100.  The first to answer wins.

Dialing from the OBi100 should be the same as from the OBi110 and go out SP1 of the OBi110.

Dialing Speed Dial 2 (2#) from the OBi100 should get the Auto Attendant of the OBi110.

zzzxxx

Thanks Ron.  I tried this, and it sort of worked, but lots of cutouts during conversation.  Can I setup both OBis the same, and just unplug the one at home, and plug in the one in mexico?  Will the one in mexico function just like the one at home?

thanks,
Jack

RonR

Jack,

Are you testing this with both OBi's behind the same router?  If so, if might be worth taking the OBi100 to a different location to simulate your real objective.  Some routers don't handle two VoIP devices well without some tweaking.

There shouldn't be any cutouts in the conversation.  The forwarding is being done over Obihai's OBiTALK network which has been experiencing a lot of difficulties the past week or so (including right this minute).

I don't know whether you'd have any problems accessing Google Voice directly from Mexico.

zzzxxx

Hi Ron,

I did test the OBis at different locations:  The 100 at work, and the 110 at home.  Both have highspeed internet.  Maybe it was due to the issues with the OBiTALK network.  I will try again next week.

I am not using Google Voice, I am using VoIPMyWay.  Any idea if that service will work directly through Telmex?  I tried sending VoIPMyWay an email asking this question, but I received no response.

thanks again,
Jack

RonR

Quote from: zzzxxx on September 27, 2011, 01:18:19 PM
I am not using Google Voice, I am using VoIPMyWay.  Any idea if that service will work directly through Telmex?

I don't have any experience with VoIPMyWay.  Maybe someone else does and will chime in.

Dale

I am looking to do a very similar thing, but I am using Google Voice as the provider...

Cabin and home would each have an Obi box. I presume I can use the same config Ron provided?

Now an added twist, my wife and I each have a GV account, I presume the same setup and be repeated for both SP1 and SP2 on both boxes, thus any call to either GV number will ring at both places... and first one answered will win?

(I only have one box so far, and I will order more as needed)

RonR

Dale,

Replicating the SP1 X_InboundCallRoute rule on SP2 of the OBi110 should forward incoming calls on either trunk to the remote OBi100.

Outgoing calls from the remote OBi100 will always use SP1 of the OBi110 with this configuration.  If you'd like to be able to direct outgoing calls to either SP1 or SP2 of the OBi110, you will have to go to this configuration:

Single-Stage Dialing Through Any OBi Trunk

Dale

thanks Ron - it seem you are the champion of this forum - providing answers!

I need to learn the digitmap codes and syntax!

It appear to me though that what your solution does is link the two boxes so that one is acting sort of like a slave for the other (trying not to use works like trunk and bridge as I am not yet clear on those terms).

If so, that suggests to me that such a configuration increases exposure of power and network failures. Say box A is going through the obitalk network to box B at a second location to make an outgoing call. If there is a power failure at B then will it fail?

Is the close tying together of the two devices required to ensure that a call can be answered in either location? If the two boxes in two locations were both set up to work with the same GV account and a call comes in, might it ring only at one and not the other?

(I live and work in two locations and I need the ability to have 2 phones at whichever location I am at, at present I carry my PAP2 between the two locations - it providing two independent lines through ViaTalk voip service)

RonR

Dale,

Your assumptions are correct.

Communications between OBi's and with OBiON Apps relies on the OBiTALK Service.  The OBiTALK Service is an undocumented proprietary protocol running on a server provided by Obihai Technology.  Should the OBiTALK Service fail for any reason (network outage, power failure, Obihai's demise, etc.), communications between OBi's and with OBiON Apps will cease completely.

Dale

OK thanks. It help to understand it when determining how many more to buy!

so it seems I need 4 Obi boxes, two at each location.

When having more than one at a location (router) will I need to make them use different ports? (5060)

RonR

I'd start out with everything using the default ports.  If the two OBi's seem to be interfering with each other, then bump the ports on the second.