News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Robocall blocking with Nomorobo

Started by dbdoshi, June 11, 2019, 02:45:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dbdoshi

I am trying to block robocalls (RC) using Callcentric (CC) & Nomorobo (NR). Currently, my SP1 is GV and SP2 is CC. GV is forwarded to CC and SP2 rings for all incoming calls.

I successfully used NR by creating call treatment in CC (Both Simultaneous Calling and Hunting rules work). The "18776593620" is the toll-free number that NR gave me (I selected Vonage as my service provider).

I am now trying to NOT USE CC to block RCs coming to GV. I just use CC to make the outgoing call to NR.

1. I disabled call forwarding from GV to CC and enabled the OBI Device to ring in my GV settings (I cut out CC as the middleman).

2. I removed all call treatments in CC for testing.

3. I created an inbound rule in SP1 with the value of "{ph1,sp2(18776593620;ui=$1)}". From my understanding of this rule, all incoming calls to GV will ring my phone and simultaneously ring NR with the Caller ID of the original incoming call using CC as the trunk provider for the outgoing call to NR.

4. I then called my GV number using FireRTC using the Caller ID of a known spammer as seen by NR.

I can verify that CC is receiving the command to make the outgoing call and I see the outgoing call in CC's outgoing phone log. I also see that OBI is correctly using SP2 (CC) to fork the incoming call (I can see that in OBI's Call History page). The OBI call history page shows "Call Failed (486 Busy here)", meaning that NR did not match the call to a spammer. As a result, my OBI keeps ringing for 25 seconds before it goes to GV voicemail.

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

dbdoshi

I think I am seeing a plausible reason as to why NR is not blocking the call. I am suspicious that the CallerID that CC sends to NR is NOT of the spammer, but that of my CC account's DID. CC does not allow you to spoof CallerIDs like that. I wish there was a way to see the CallerID that hits NR on their website...

If my reasoning is correct, I cannot use CC and need to use a service provider that allows "on-demand" spoofing of CallerIDs and provides free calls to toll-free numbers. I saw some references to "alcazametworks.com", "alcazarnetworks.com" & "startcompartners.com" in older threads. So do these service providers allow you to spoof CallerIDs correctly?

Taoman

Quote from: dbdoshi on June 11, 2019, 02:45:15 PM

Any ideas as to why this is happening?

Looks like invalid syntax to me. I doubt the calling number is being forwarded to Nomorobo.
Use one of the free tollfree calling services.

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10368.0

dbdoshi

Sorry, I saw your reply after I posted. I did come across that thread while researching. I was trying to avoid using these non-CC service providers. I already have CC on SP2, so figured why not use it?

Any ideas on the syntax error? Thanks.

Taoman

Quote from: dbdoshi on June 11, 2019, 03:51:30 PM
Sorry, I saw your reply after I posted. I did come across that thread while researching. I was trying to avoid using these non-CC service providers. I already have CC on SP2, so figured why not use it?

Any ideas on the syntax error? Thanks.
Can you show me in the admin guide (or anywhere) that states this is valid syntax? In the link I posted all examples are using SIP URI.
But I would love to be proved wrong. Would be useful if that syntax actually worked.

{ph1,sp2(18776593620;ui=$1)}

azrobert

Why don't you want to forward GV calls to CC?

GV has a spam blocking feature.

Anyway, try this:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked

SP1 inbound route: ph,sp2(1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com)

Replace 1777xxxxxxx with your CC account.

dbdoshi

Quote from: Taoman on June 11, 2019, 04:02:19 PM
Can you show me in the admin guide (or anywhere) that states this is valid syntax? In the link I posted all examples are using SIP URI.
But I would love to be proved wrong. Would be useful if that syntax actually worked.

{ph1,sp2(18776593620;ui=$1)}

LOL, just because something is not documented explicitly in minute detail in the admin guide does not mean that it will not work. On the flip side, where in the admin guide is it documented that this particular syntax will not work? Anyways, I wasn't challenging your knowledge, merely asking a question for learning purposes. You misunderstood.

dbdoshi

Quote from: azrobert on June 11, 2019, 04:11:45 PM
Why don't you want to forward GV calls to CC?

GV has a spam blocking feature.

Anyway, try this:

Service Providers -> ITSP Profile B SIP -> X_SpoofCallerID: Checked

SP1 inbound route: ph,sp2(1777xxxxxxx@in.callcentric.com)

Replace 1777xxxxxxx with your CC account.

Thanks, did not know about the spoof caller id variable. Will check it out.

SteveInWA

Why not just set up a call treatment on your Callcentric dashboard:  when any call comes into your CC number, then simultaneously ring your desired forwarding number, AND the Nomorobo number?  You'd just need to add your CC number to Nomorobo.  I haven't tested this in a long time, so no guarantee that it will work, but if it does, it doesn't use any additional VoIP service provider.  This should accomplish essentially the same thing as adding a route to call Nomorobo in an OBi digit map.

SteveInWA

Does anyone have a Nomorobo X_InboundCallRoute that is confirmed to work with Callcentric?  Mine stopped working, no matter which of Nomorobo's numbers I try, and no matter which toll-free gateway I try.  It also stopped working if I simply add it as a simulring call treatment on Callcentric itself.

I'm wondering if Nomorobo is now identifying the ITSP being used, and if it doesn't match the one you claim to be using, it blocks the call.

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 01, 2020, 06:42:26 PM
It also stopped working if I simply add it as a simulring call treatment on Callcentric itself.

Instead of whatever string you were using for the Callcentric simulring call treatment try using this string instead:
**275*18667326185

This string routes to Sip Broker which Callcentic peers with and what I've used for years. Very reliable.

Also, you can make a speed dial with a known spam number to check if Nomorobo is working as expected. Make a speed dial for this where X is your Callcentric SP number:

spX(18667326185@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=2007653876)

SteveInWA

Quote from: Taoman on July 01, 2020, 07:53:30 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on July 01, 2020, 06:42:26 PM
It also stopped working if I simply add it as a simulring call treatment on Callcentric itself.

Instead of whatever string you were using for the Callcentric simulring call treatment try using this string instead:
**275*18667326185

This string routes to Sip Broker which Callcentic peers with and what I've used for years. Very reliable.

Also, you can make a speed dial with a known spam number to check if Nomorobo is working as expected. Make a speed dial for this where X is your Callcentric SP number:

spX(18667326185@tollfree.alcazarnetworks.com;ui=2007653876)

Thanks, as always!  So, I've eliminated everything I can think of, as a user error.  I thought it might be an incorrect digit map, so I got rid of that, and went back to using CC's simulring call treatment, ringing my extensions and the nomorobo number.  That didn't work.  I substituted your SIP Broker string; that didn't work.  I then systematically deleted each of my extensions, one at a time, retested, and that didn't work.  I then deleted all of the extensions and added a cell phone number as a forward (along with your string).  That didn't work.  I then removed the cell phone number, leaving only the SIP Broker forward-to.  That didn't work!  I confirmed that, if I call some other number from the CC number, it properly sends its caller ID.

I'm stumped.  I do a lot of testing for the forums, and I thought I had made some bonehead error, but I have now completely removed the OBiTALK devices as extensions, set it to ring an ordinary phone number and the nomorobo number, and it fails. 

Taoman

Quote from: SteveInWA on July 02, 2020, 12:48:02 PM
I then removed the cell phone number, leaving only the SIP Broker forward-to.  That didn't work!
but I have now completely removed the OBiTALK devices as extensions, set it to ring an ordinary phone number and the nomorobo number, and it fails. 

Are you positive you don't have a call treatment above the one you made that might be intercepting the call and it's never even getting to the call treatment in question? For testing purposes, I would disable all other call treatments but the one you're working on.

How are you determining that it's not routing thru Sip Broker? In the CC report log, on the far right-hand sign under Destination it will say "Callcentric peering."

I use a hunt group instead of simulring so I don't ever get that first ring if Nomorobo gets a hit on the incoming call. I've attached a graphic of what my call treatment looks like. I just tested it again by spoofing a known spam number (5205187375) by calling my CC number directly and I immediately got the message:
"Your call has been intercepted by Nomorobo" so I know it works.

SteveInWA

Sonofabitch!  I didn't notice that I had recently added a test rule to send "medium" and "high" risk calls to TrueCNAM.  So, that rule (processed before the main rule for my extension) was causing the failure.  I've now removed that rule, and all's well again.  I guess that proves one thing:  TrueCNAM does work, at least for some numbers.

Thanks so much, and take care!