News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to use a "real" conference phone with Obi

Started by integrity, July 08, 2019, 08:45:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

integrity

Hi,

I'm unclear whether it's possible to buy real conference room phone like these: https://www.polycom.com/voice-conferencing-solutions/conference-phones-buy-now.html, and connect with the Obi system. Is this possible?

Does a device like the OBi200 make this work?

It doesn't look like Obihai make the conference phone style of device, although of course their desk phones are all speaker phones.

Thanks.

drgeoff

Any phone designed for use on a POTS line and capable of tone dialling can be used with an OBi200. Polycom do have conferencing phones which meet that requirement. Tick the "Analogue" box under "Filter by" on the web page you referenced.

integrity

Thanks drgeoff.

Apologies for the very basic questions here -- just to make sure I understand completely -- the Obi200 would be connected to the wall with an Ethernet cable, and the POTS phone (e.g. the Polycom SoundStation2) would be connected to the Obi200 with a standard analog phone cable?

Then, would just set up the Obi200 as the active VOIP device?

Please let me know if there are any real negatives to doing this, or if there is a much simpler option for setting up a conference phone.

I do have one Obi1022 active in my office already, set up with Google Voice, and it looks like a charm.

Thanks.