News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Here's a trick- Telus 1 number unlimited prepaid (Canada only)

Started by andyha, September 24, 2011, 11:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyha

I have freephoneline.ca as SP1 and Google Voice as SP2. I have a Telus prepaid cell phone that gives me unlimited calls to and from 1 number for 10 bucks per month. I assign that to my FPL 1 number unlimited. When I make outgoing calls I call into my OBI110, press 2 and make all my outgoing calls  for free! If I need to call the US after I press 2, I press**2 and dial the US phone number. I program this into my contacts with the pause feature. It's FANTASTIC! As long as I am in my local calling area which I am it's a go. Unfortunately incoming calls are 20 cents per minute, but I just don't answer them. I see the CID and call them right back, kinda like a pager. I don't text but you could buy a text package for a few bucks more per month. So with the OBI and the Telus 1 number unlimited I am getting unlimited calling to north america for 10 bucks per month!. Thanks OBI!

I have my wife on the same setup. Freephoneline is exactly that FREE! You pay a one time 50 dollar setup fee but after that there are NO monthly charges! So to put it all together I have my home phone system which gives me my local phone number and the ability to make and receive calls to north America for FREE! Add mine and my wife's cell phone setup at 10 bucks each per month and the grand total I am paying is 20 bucks per month for 2 cell phones and the home phone plan! And of course the call quality on both FPL and GV is outstanding, really no audible difference from a regular POTS line.

I should mention that I have 3 OBIS, one for home, one for my wifes cell, and one for my cell, just because of CID issues. Hope this helps someone else out there to get around the ridiculous costs of telephony. It seems people just accept paying 50/month for their cell phone and 30ish/month for their landline, but the OBI makes all that history! FANTASTIC little device! For us that used to amount to a 130 plus bill every month. 3 OBIS cost app 120, 2 FPL lines cost 100 for a total of app 220 dollars...so my little system has more than paid for itself after just 2 months! That's a 1st year savings of 1220 dollars, second year and every year after that of 1440 dollars! Times are tough right now so every little bit helps.

QBZappy

andyha,

+1

I'm checking this out for myself. I think we can get the same plan in Quebec as well.
Owner of the 1st OBi110/100 units in service in Canada & South America. 1st OBi202 on my street. 1st OBi1032 in Montreal.

andyha

Yeah I just checked and you can get it in Quebec. Oh yeah you will have to get a prepaid phone too. I got this one for 49 but you get a 20 dollar credit when you activate it so it's not too expensive. http://www.telusmobility.com/en/QC/lg_gb255g_pp/index.shtml

There are a couple of things that aren't perfect that I should mention. They don't really bug me because I am willing to put up with it for the huge cost savings I'm getting. One I mentioned already and that's the 20 cent per minute charge on incoming calls. The other thing is it takes a little longer to dial calls. If I program a number in my contacts, it will take around 15-18 seconds for the call to go through. Also, with FPL you can't hear any ringing or busy tones, you just have to wait till someone answers or voicemail clicks in. GV does not have this problem, not sure why FPL does but like I said it doesn't really bother me too much, I figure it's a pretty good trade off.

Veronica

Hello im new in this forum, i haven't get the device yet because i would like to know first where did you guys get the device, i want to buy it for my boyfriend in Canada but i see ashlin is expensier so i don't know, also he has to renew contract soon with telus for his cellphone and im looking a better option for him two as the poor guy pays like 200 hundred dollars for phone and cellphone bill which i think is a totally rip off so please any advice, i did not see that $10 plan you mention here in their webpage, actually the plans with a decent smartphone requires at list 2 plans with the same account and he just need 1 for himself i used the chat and the lady said to call their toll number or go directly to a telus branch office, i did not like that. Is it telus worthy than rogers or bell?. Any help would be appreciated.

Veronica

skpv

Well, it's nice trick. seems like you spent lots of time and energy into it. Thanks. However, wondering if you still use it or changed to regular expensive plan. By the way, you don't have to spend on 3 OBIs for this trick. Simply get cheap smart phone from kijiji if you don't have one already and download budphone (associated to freephoneline) app and get free outgoing call not only locally but also to major cities. I don't do it just because I need to attend the calls of my dear ones when they call and don't want to be rude to them by disconnecting and calling them back. What if they have the same idea and don't want to receive the calls. May be works for senior citizens or for school going kids, don't think it is a decent idea for adults. However, it's a good catch, appreciate it for sharing. Happy Holidays :-)