News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice Outbound Caller ID

Started by ob2s666, July 25, 2019, 03:35:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ob2s666

The number I have for GV was a landline # last in 2012. In 2012 it became mine as a vonage #. This year I 'ported' that number to T-Mobile, because I couldn't go Vonage->GV direct, because GV requires a mobile number to transfer to GV. Then I paid $20 to port my now t-mobile # to GV. I have my obi202 now, and that number is configured on it. When I call people now the caller name is the name of the person who owned the number as a landline in 2012. I know this because, collections people still call this # looking for this mofe to this day !

So, I'd rather have NOTHING show in outbound caller id than the name of some person I am not. I'd like to set it to my name, but creating a contact in GV with my GV number did NOT work, despite what I googled.  I am not sure how this ghost callerid is appearing, I don't care really, but there has to be a way to change it, right ?

Thanks

N7AS

Try Listyourself.net You can have outbound calls showing your name instead of that deadbeat person.
Grant N7AS
Prescott Valley, AZ
https://www.n7as.com

A journeyman electrician sent his apprentice with a 5-gallon bucket and was told to put the ends of the service drop in the bucket and fill it with volts. He was there all day.

drgeoff

Quote from: ob2s666 on July 25, 2019, 03:35:20 PM
The number I have for GV was a landline # last in 2012. In 2012 it became mine as a vonage #. This year I 'ported' that number to T-Mobile, because I couldn't go Vonage->GV direct, because GV requires a mobile number to transfer to GV. Then I paid $20 to port my now t-mobile # to GV. I have my obi202 now, and that number is configured on it. When I call people now the caller name is the name of the person who owned the number as a landline in 2012. I know this because, collections people still call this # looking for this mofe to this day !

So, I'd rather have NOTHING show in outbound caller id than the name of some person I am not. I'd like to set it to my name, but creating a contact in GV with my GV number did NOT work, despite what I googled.  I am not sure how this ghost callerid is appearing, I don't care really, but there has to be a way to change it, right ?

Thanks

While CallerID Number is carried across virtually all phone networks (landline, cellular, VoIP), CallerID Name is not sent end to end across landline and cellular.  Any name that is displayed on the callee's phone is generated by the callee's service provider performing a database lookup on the CallerID number.  As such there is no setting on an OBi device or in your Google Voice account that can correct the name displayed to people you call.

However GV has a setting to withhold your CallerID number being sent.  Callees will not see your number nor any name. https://voice.google.com/settings, Calls, Anonymous caller ID.