News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Issue with WAN + Obi100

Started by grimmrimmer, July 08, 2011, 07:31:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimmrimmer

I just got my Obi in today, and I plugged it into my network.  Everything went well during the configuration, and I was pleasantly surprised at how simple everything worked.  I noticed that the firmware update button was enabled on the obi webpage, so I went ahead and updated the firmware through it.  It claimed that it upgraded successfully, but once it did I noticed my internet connection totally died.

I thought this was a coincidence, so I did the standard router check (a Tomato'd Linksys e2000) and even rebooted it to no avail.  I noticed the WAN was disconnected and would never connect.  I checked the logs to no avail.  On a hunch, I unplugged the Obi and boom, the router got a WAN IP and everything began working.  I then plugged back in the Obi and few seconds later the WAN disconnected all over again.  Unplugging the Obi fixed everything again.  I even did a factory default reset on the Obi and it did nothing to help.  For reference I have Verizon FIOS and log in via a PPPOE connection.

For some reason, it looks like the firmware upgrade may have screwed my brand new Obi up.  I'm not sure how it's doing what it's doing.  There is no IP conflict or anything obvious like that.  Has anyone seen anything like this before?  I'd hate to return it for something I could fix here. :-\

earthtoobi

there are many things you can try first:

a) can you login to the device and see the status(Device portal not obitalk portal).i assume only your WANIP is messed up. if your router gave you an ip via DHCP use that to login.

b) try setting a static ip.see if that resolves your problem.

i fail to understand how obi can screw up your wanip.
hope when you flashed tomato on to your router, you also cleared NVRAM too.this is sometimes the cause of quirky router behavior.

grimmrimmer

Some more notes of oddness...

I have about 1 minute after plugging in the Obi to where I can access the internet and the Obi unit itself.  Then the internet light on my Obi starts going nuts and flashing very rapidly.  It's like when this happens my router freezes up and no longer acks the PPOE status thus my WAN connection going down.  I cannot access my Obi (device portal) during this time either, but I can access my router and other locally networked devices.

I might try to downgrade my firmware just to see if that was the issue and something went wrong during the upgrade.

I have used my tomato router for the past 6 months w/o any issues, and yes, I cleared the NVRAM after I flashed it.

ETA:  Okay, I downgraded to 2289, and all is well.  Has anyone experienced any issues with 2384 like this?  I'm not sure what to do here.  Is it a faulty unit, or is it just something in the new firmware that doesn't agree with my setup?  I'm debating on returning it which would suck as I really like what the device offers.

RonR

If all else fails, you might consider resetting the OBi to factory defaults and see if that eliminates your problems.  I've had a couple of unexplainable anomalies where the OBi appeared to be scrambled internally and nothing short of resetting it to factory defaults would straighten it up.  Make sure you're able to reach the OBiTALK echo test at *9 222 222 222 and everything is stable before reconfiguring the OBi.

grimmrimmer

Okay, I went back up to 2384 and same thing... network light eventually blinks super-fast and never stops thus locking up the Obi.  Then I went back down to 2289 but this time with no luck.  Same problem.

I tried resetting back to factory defaults several times to no avail.  I'm starting to wonder if it's possibly a power supply issue or something.  I will try and send it back for a replacement.  Thanks for the help, everyone!

RonR

Temporarily disable your Internet connection.  Reset the OBi back to factory defaults and immediately disable Auto Provisioning at:

System Management -> Auto Provisioning -> Auto Provisioning -> Method : Disabled

in case the OBi is being sent a bad configuration profile from the OBiTALK Web Portal.

Re-enable your Internet connection but leave the OBi at factory defaults with Auto Provisioning disabled and see if you can call **9 222 222 222 and if the OBi stays stable at this point.

Artak

Hi,

Seems that I have the exact same problem with my OBi110 device and Linksys E2000 with tomato, only in my case instead of Verizon DSL I've got Teksavvy Cable in Toronto.

Any clues how to fix this?