News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Trouble with call forwarding

Started by leonrojo99, July 22, 2019, 02:38:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonrojo99

I have an Obi 200 with GV and having trouble setting up conditional call forwarding when busy and when no answer.  No matter what I do it is not forwarding.  There is one phone connected to sp1 and I want it forwarding to a line outside of OBi.  this is the settings I have an Obi, I had without parentheses and it did not work as well, what I am doing wrong?

azrobert

The forwarding number should be: sp1(18005551212) or just a number without parentheses. I prefer specifying the sp number.

You need to disable Call Waiting, otherwise Busy won't be detected.

Physical Interfaces -> Phone1 Port-> CallWaitingEnable: unchecked

Busy also won't be detected when the phone is just taken off-hook for testing. The phone must be on an active call.

Cookies75

The number without parentheses does not work either. Also, there is no sp2, and sp1 is where the forwarding happens from when sp1 is busy or not being answered.

1. I never turned off call waiting. I will try that
2. I also read on forums here that GV does not support call forwarding on busy or not available but this was from 2016, is this still the case? Do I have to switch?

SteveInWA

Google Voice IS a call forwarding system.  Why are you trying to do this on the OBi itself?  Your statement about Google Voice's lack of call forwarding on busy or not available makes no sense.  That is not Google Voice's job.  It's the job of the carrier providing service for the linked/forwarding phone numbers.

You have a Google Voice number.  You can link up to six different forwarding numbers.  You enable Conditional Call Forwarding on those numbers' carriers, to send busy or unanswered calls back to Google Voice's voicemail.  You link the numbers via your Google Voice settings page, here:  https://voice.google.com/settings

That is how the system is designed to be used.

Cookies75

Hello, I am confused by your reply, see the post below (by you actually) saying GV cannot forward on busy and hence my concerns:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11248.0;wap2

I am trying to do this on Obi because the google voice web portal itself cannot forward on busy or non answered, it will only ring simultaneously if just using the portal.

The intended lay out is: we get a call in to sp1 on obi which is google voice (call is coming from callrail).  If that is not picked up in time or the line is busy, obi forwards then and only then to a secondary number that has nothing to do with obi or google voice.

"Conditional Call Forwarding on those numbers' carriers" The carrier in question here is google voice to perform this function and not 3rd party carriers

azrobert

There was a problem using the forwarding option with GV, but I thought it was fixed. Make sure you are using the current fw.

The forwarding settings are found in 2 places, on the SP and Phone port definitions. Delete your current definition and re-define at the other location.

Try defining only Busy or No Answer, not both just to see if they will work alone.

SteveInWA

Quote from: Cookies75 on July 23, 2019, 06:16:37 AM
Hello, I am confused by your reply, see the post below (by you actually) saying GV cannot forward on busy and hence my concerns:

https://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=11248.0;wap2

I am trying to do this on Obi because the google voice web portal itself cannot forward on busy or non answered, it will only ring simultaneously if just using the portal.

The intended lay out is: we get a call in to sp1 on obi which is google voice (call is coming from callrail).  If that is not picked up in time or the line is busy, obi forwards then and only then to a secondary number that has nothing to do with obi or google voice.

"Conditional Call Forwarding on those numbers' carriers" The carrier in question here is google voice to perform this function and not 3rd party carriers

That is not at all how Google Voice is designed to be used.  You're a) using it backwards, by forwarding some other number TO a Google Voice number, and b) trying to conditionally forward the Google Voice number elsewhere.

There is no point to inserting Google Voice in the middle of your multiple-forward chain.

Cookies75

the google voice is tied to the obi talk device and thus I have to use it.  should I switch to call centric?

SteveInWA

You can't make this work, if you want to forward busy or unanswered calls TO other phone numbers, unless CallRail itself has conditional call forwarding.  The forwarding needs to happen there, not down the chain.

Cookies75

would call centric be able to do it?

SteveInWA

Quote from: Cookies75 on July 28, 2019, 09:55:01 AM
would call centric be able to do it?

You don't seem to understand the basic concept of call forwarding.  It has to be performed at the phone number that is initially called, not somewhere down a different chain of forwarded numbers.

If CallRail doesn't have its own call forwarding capability, then you'd have to give up CallRail and use Callcentric instead.