News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

voice quality

Started by davidw1, July 22, 2019, 03:21:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidw1

HI,

I have been using google voice and the obi200 for a few years.  The quality has been good until just recently when we switched our ISP.  The new ISP seems much faster and better than our last one for everything except the VOIP.  For some reason the voice is very choppy, and cuts out a lot.

The strange thing is that if I login to google voice on my computer and make a call, it is fine.  The only time I have the problem is when I am using the home phone connected through the obi200.  I am wondering if there is some setting that may need to be changed, but I am not sure what.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
David

davidw1

Now it is getting worse.  It says"Connect Failed: No Response"  and I can't make calls.

davidw1

when I try to make a call I get a message that the number has not received a response from the service provider or something like that.

drgeoff

Quote from: davidw1 on August 02, 2019, 08:22:58 AM
when I try to make a call I get a message that the number has not received a response from the service provider or something like that.
Dial **9 222 222 222.  Can you reliably reach the echo test and, after the announcement, hear your voice coming back to you?

davidw1

Yes, I can hear my voice, but it is choppy.  I will try again later to see if it constantly works.  I have about 100 emails during the last day letting my know my OBI Device is Not registered, then letting me know it is Registered.

drgeoff

Quote from: davidw1 on August 04, 2019, 08:09:50 AM
Yes, I can hear my voice, but it is choppy.  I will try again later to see if it constantly works.  I have about 100 emails during the last day letting my know my OBI Device is Not registered, then letting me know it is Registered.

First eliminate your ethernet cable(s) by substitution.

If no improvement, you need to discover if your network problem is between OBi and modem or between modem and the rest of the world.

If you have separate modem and router and can tolerate nothing connected to the internet except the OBi, disconnect the router from the modem and connect the OBi directly to the modem.  Reboot the OBi if DHCP or change its IP settings if not.  If the echo test is not choppy then the problem is your router or ethernet cabling.  If still choppy it could be your Obi, your modem or your ISP's network infrastructure.

Lavarock7

I had somewhat similar issues with an Obi phone. I had used a short flat LAN cable that was not shielded and had all sorts of disconnects and garbled audio.

I agree, check the cables.
My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

davidw1

So I have done some testing.

1- changing the cables not not make a difference.  It is still choppy (not too bad, but not good).

2- connecting to the modem directly does not help with the choppiness, however I can call out when connected to the modem directly, and I can't call when I am going through the router (I get the message that the number has not received a response from the service provider).

drgeoff

Quote from: davidw1 on August 04, 2019, 01:18:26 PM
2- connecting to the modem directly does not help with the choppiness, however I can call out when connected to the modem directly, and I can't call when I am going through the router (I get the message that the number has not received a response from the service provider).
Reboot modem, router and OBi before placing any significance on that.  Power them up in that order and wait 2 minutes before doing the next one.

davidw1

Quote from: drgeoff on August 04, 2019, 02:35:31 PM
Quote from: davidw1 on August 04, 2019, 01:18:26 PM
Reboot modem, router and OBi before placing any significance on that.  Power them up in that order and wait 2 minutes before doing the next one.

Doing it that way, I can now make calls with or without the router.  I still get some choppiness either way though.  So it seems the router is not the issue.  I will see if it lasts, or if it looses connection again, as it has been getting disconnected a lot as you can see by my list of emails.

DavidTW

It is offline again, so I guess that was just a temporary fix.

davidw1

I was reading on another place that setting up the DNS servers to google servers 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 may help with this issue.  So I tried that, as well as I setup the static ip address (I think you need to do that, otherwise the DHCP will set the nameservers?)

Anyway, after doing that it is connected again, and the echo test sounded much better.  So maybe that fixed it?

drgeoff

If you continue to experience these problems I would suggest temporarily taking your OBi to another location with internet access. If the problems go away you need to get ypur Internet Service Provider involved.

davidw1

I have not had any more issues where the connection goes down, but the call quality is still not good.

davidw1

I have contacted my isp to see if they can see any issues.

GeeObi

It's probably just your phone.

drgeoff

Quote from: GeeObi on August 05, 2019, 02:04:02 PM
It's probably just your phone.
If the 'disconnected' emails reoccur there is no way that a phone can be responsible.

azrobert

Do a quality test on your internet connection.
http://vac.visualware.com/

Click a city on the map.
The software will download.
Do a browser refresh after the download.

A VOIP MOS of around 4 should be good.
Mine was 4.2

davidw1

I have not had any emails telling me it is disconnected since I setup my static ip.  Also the phone has worked since then, other than I get a lot of words cut off.

It looks like the problem may be my internet then.  My internet has never been real good, because I am away from any large city, and so there is no hard wired internet, it is all wireless.  However it used to work fine with the phone until I switched to the "faster" service, which does work better for streaming video, but maybe it is worse for voip.

Although I did have to run this test within a virtual machine, since I am running linux, and the software is for windows, or mac.  I am not sure if that has anything to do with it.

drgeoff