News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Re-install after lightning

Started by BoomerM3, July 30, 2019, 01:55:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BoomerM3

After a recent lightning strike in the area, my power went out. Since then, I have not been able to get my OBI 200 to work.

I am seeing the power light as a solid green; the middle light blinking; and the phone light off. I followed the trouble-shooting instructions but everything appears 'dead'. I am not able to get any response from the box, regardless of what I dial (star codes).

I have replaced cables, phone, and phone wire with no effect. My router is working properly and it sees the OBI 200 and assigns an IP address. I can Ping the box and that works. I borrowed an OBI 200 (brand new) and it exhibits the same symptoms.

What else can I do?

Peter

drgeoff

When using your OBi do you get dial tone when you take the phone off-hook?

If not, when you use the borrowed OBi do you get dial tone when you take the phone off-hook?

BoomerM3

No & No.  Sounds totally dead. I did test the phone in another building and it's fine.

SteveInWA

I borrowed an OBI 200 (brand new) and it exhibits the same symptoms.

That doesn't seem likely.  If your OBi was damaged in a lightening strike, then it would be dead, but a different one would work.

Take BOTH OBi devices somewhere else and try them on some other network.

SteveInWA

Also note:  if the device gets an IP address, and you can go to that IP address on a web browser (with default user ID and password both "admin"), then look at the Status-->PHONE port status, you should see "on hook", VBAT approximately 58 V (11.8 V), and TipRingVoltage approximately 45 V.  If any of those voltage values are off by more than a few volts, then the device's telephone interface chip is dead.  Did you have it plugged into the building's telephone wiring?  That would be a prime entry point for a lightening surge.

drgeoff

An OBi should give dial tone to an off-hook phone irrespective of a working connection to the router. Even with nothing plugged in to its network socket(s). So trying OBi and phone on another network elsewhere isn't going to tell you much.

In addition to dial tone, the OBi's phone LED should blink while the phone is off-hook.

Are you plugging the known good phone and cord directly into the borrowed OBi? Not via house wiring, socket doubler, fax machine, surge arrester, lightning protection device etc.

BoomerM3

Since there is no dial tone on either box (one brand new) what does that mean? And how do I test?

There is no connection to house wiring (nor was there at the time of the lightening). 

The power light is solid green; the middle light is blinking; the right light is off. The phone works elsewhere - so it's good. It is plugged directly into the OBI. If I power on an OBI and plug in a phone would I expect to get a dial tone? I'm not getting that on either OBI.

The only variable that we have not 'replaced' is the router.

Any suggestions?

drgeoff

Quote from: BoomerM3 on July 31, 2019, 03:29:41 AM
Since there is no dial tone on either box (one brand new) what does that mean? And how do I test?

There is no connection to house wiring (nor was there at the time of the lightening).  

The power light is solid green; the middle light is blinking; the right light is off. The phone works elsewhere - so it's good. It is plugged directly into the OBI. If I power on an OBI and plug in a phone would I expect to get a dial tone? I'm not getting that on either OBI.

The only variable that we have not 'replaced' is the router.

Any suggestions?

The router has no relevance to lack of dial tone. As I already said above you should get dial tone with only power and phone plugged in to the OBi.

You did not answer my question about the PHONE LED blinking when the phone is taken off-hook.  Nor the result of looking at the voltages on the Status page as suggested by SteveInWA.  That page should also show the on or off-hook status.  You do have to refresh the page to see a change.

Have you tried using the PSU of the borrowed OBi or have you always been using your own?

BoomerM3

"As I already said above you should get dial tone with only power and phone plugged in to the OBi... answer my question about the PHONE LED blinking when the phone is taken off-hook"

I took my new OBI and plugged it in to power and then a phone. I see a slow blinking green power light and eventually a solid green phone light - which goes out after a minute. But I never got a dial tone - did hear a few clicks.

"the result of looking at the voltages on the Status page."
If you are referring to the status page on the web, I can't get to that as the OBI is not registered. Or am I missing something?

"Have you tried using the PSU of the borrowed OBi"
No. I need to do that.

drgeoff

You wrote "My router is working properly and it sees the OBI 200 and assigns an IP address. I can Ping the box and that works"

SteveInWA wrote " if the device gets an IP address, and you can go to that IP address on a web browser (with default user ID and password both "admin"), then look at the Status-->PHONE port status,"

Point your browser at that address which probably starts 192.168.  The status page we are asking you to look at is on the OBi itself, not your dashboard at obitalk.com.

SteveInWA

I mentioned taking the devices elsewhere only because the symptom seems so completely unlikely (two different units, one allegedly brand new, with no dialtone), and the OP was vague about whether or not their configuration could be accessed, that all bets are off.

Anyhow, yes, use a web browser and go to the IP address of the device.

See the attached screenshot.