News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi200 UK Google Voice

Started by Jake100, August 01, 2019, 04:13:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jake100

Hi,

I have been trying for hours to get this working properly and I am running out of ideas.

I have a Gsuite account with a UK number.

I can receive incoming calls through my Obi device but I cannot make outgoing calls without dialling the 011 US international prefix. If I dial 011447xxxxxxxxx it works fine. But if I dial 07xxxxxxxxx (UK mobile number) then an automated message says "This is not a valid number".

I have Google Voice configured using SP1.
I have tried various DigitMaps from this forum as well as the one from the Obi guide but none of them work for dialling without the 011 prefix.
(999|112|101|111|116000|116111|116123|1471|1571|0[15]xxxxxxxxx?|0[27]x xxxx xxxx|0800xxx xxxx?|0808xxx xxxx|08001111|08[47]x xxx xxxx|0845464x|03xx xxx xxxx|118xxx|100|155|195|09xx xxx xxxx|00xxx.|xx.|+xx.|(Mipd)|[^*#]@@.)

This is one of the example ones I tried. I'm quite happy with a simple DigitMap.

Is this 011 prefix listed in the settings somewhere else which I need to remove?
I have exported my current XML and searched for 011 but nothing of interest comes up.

Does anyone have any other ideas as to what's stopping me dialling UK numbers without the US international prefix?

Thanks!

SteveInWA

The OBi 200 is not supported for use with Google Voice for G Suite, so I would not expect it to work, assuming you mean you are paying for the new G Suite version of GV.

The only approved VoIP hardware for G Suite are the Poly VVX x50 IP phones.

Jake100

Hi Steve.
Thanks for the quick reply.
Yes I am using the new GSuite and I have seen it isn't officially supported.

However, I can make and receive calls fine so it does work after a fashion.

The only problem I'm having is how I make outgoing calls.
I currently have to use the 011 US international prefix to make outgoing calls. I was hoping someone  may know how to fix this bit which will allow me to dial UK numbers like I would normally from within the UK.

If I log into my google voice account, I can see the history of numbers being dialled.
They are being dialled with a +1 in front of them.
E.g I dial 07xxxxxxxxx on the phone.
The number which gets dialled through Google Voice is +107xxxxxxxxx

I realise it's not officially supported and it may stop working completely at some point. But I feel it is promising the fact I can dial in and out, it just needs some tweaks to my config somewhere.

drgeoff

First check what your OBi is sending to GV. Point a browser at the 200's IP address on your LAN and log in with admin and admin or whatever if you changed the password. Click on Status and then on Call History.

Are you sure your Digit Map changes are sticking? You will have used the obitalk.com portal to configure for GV. Unless you have disabled Obitalk Provisioning you should modify digit maps etc using Expert Mode on the portal. Otherwise changes you make using the onboard web server will be overwritten by the portal.

Jake100

Hi drgeoff.

Thanks for the reply.

I have started using expert mode and things are looking more promising but still not quite there unfortunately, I still get the number not valid message.
If I dial 0774xxxx362 and look at the active call, Obi displays the correct number (please see attached).

When I look in Google Voice, it has dialed the first 10 digits but the last digit isn't showing in GV; it has only dialed 0774xxxx36.
I even tried a very simple digitMap like the one below. I believe dialing 07.... should match the first rule and dial the 11 digits through sp1.
(0xxxxxxxxxx|<1>[2-9]xxxxxxxxx|<1aaa>xxxxxxx|011xx.|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.'@'@@.)

I appreciate everyone's help :)

drgeoff

Looks like your OBi is doing as expected but it is GV that is not.

US phone numbers are only 10 digits.  I wonder if that is relevant.

I don't have G-Suite and don't know anything about it.  Have you got links to anything that says you should be able to call a UK number by dialling the normal UK 11 digit format?

It is easy to get the OBi to modify the leading 0 to 01144.  Does that have any impact on what GV charges for the call?  Any impact on the end to end delay ie call going across the Atlantic two times instead of none? 

Jake100

I use GV daily from my computer / iPhone app to dial 11 digit UK numbers so my account is capable of 11 digit dialing. My account is a UK account with a UK number registered to it.
From what I have seen on forums, people have had this working in the UK with Google Voice (but maybe that wasn't with the Gsuite version).

Are you able to point me in the right direction for modifying the leading 0 to 01144 please? You can probably tell I'm fairly new to this but I am trying to learn slowly.
I will have to make a couple of test calls to see what destination GV treats the number as if I dial 01144 all the time for UK numbers.

Cheers.

drgeoff

Quote from: Jake100 on August 02, 2019, 01:12:02 PM
I use GV daily from my computer / iPhone app to dial 11 digit UK numbers so my account is capable of 11 digit dialing. My account is a UK account with a UK number registered to it.
From what I have seen on forums, people have had this working in the UK with Google Voice (but maybe that wasn't with the Gsuite version).
I'm struggling to believe that anyone with GV (not G-Suite) could successfully dial an 11 digit UK number.

Quote from: Jake100 on August 02, 2019, 01:12:02 PM
Are you able to point me in the right direction for modifying the leading 0 to 01144 please? You can probably tell I'm fairly new to this but I am trying to learn slowly.
I will have to make a couple of test calls to see what destination GV treats the number as if I dial 01144 all the time for UK numbers.

Cheers.
https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf page 197 explains Digit Maps. At the very bottom of that page is <elements:literals>.  Examples on the following pages.

<0:01144>xxxxxxxxxx

0 followed by 10 digits will be changed to 01144 followed by those same 10 digits.

Jake100

Thanks.
I've managed to get it working with this digitMap. It could use some tidying up as there's parts in there I don't need, but I can now dial mobile numbers as I would normally.

(*xxxx|1xx|<:1780>[2-9]xxxxxx|<:1>[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx|1[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxxxx|<07:011447>xxxxxxxxx|<0:04444>[1-2]xxxxxxxxx|<44:04444>[1-2]xxxxxxxxx|011[2-9]x.|310xxxxS0|(Mipd)|[^*]@@.)

If you're interested, Obi sends the number as 0114477xxxxxx62 and Google Voice sends the number as it would normally, 077xxxxxxxx.

Thanks for your help!!