News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

How to keep the gate intercom with my home phone while using it with OBi?

Started by Sysler, August 06, 2019, 04:56:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sysler

Hi, currently my home telephone is only used for gate intercom. Whenever there is a guest pressing the doorbell, the home phone will ring so I can communicate with the guest. The front door intercom connects to our phone line command center in my upstairs closet. And our home phone plugged into the phone jack on the wall.

Right now because I bought an OBi, so my home phone is connected to phone jack in the OBi device for making and receiving Google Voice calls. But I still want to use my home phone for our intercom or I won't be notified when someone presses the doorbell.

Keen to know how to be able to retain my door intercom ability with my current home phone while using it for Google Voice calls? Many thanks!!

azrobert

drgeoff

Sysler

Quote from: azrobert on August 06, 2019, 05:19:52 PM
If you have an OBi212, just connect the Line port to your wall jack.

If you have an OBi20x then you need an OBiLine adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/OBiLINE-Adapter-Devices-OBi1062-OBi1032/dp/B00DP4YOJ6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3IHR7CM9SVYM2&keywords=obiline&qid=1565136642&s=gateway&sprefix=obilone%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

I would just get a cheap phone for your intercom.

Hi, I purchased the OBiLine adapter per your recommendation. My telephone still doesn't ring when someone presses the doorbell.

Failed scenario: I connect the telephone jack on the wall to OBi adapter through a telephone line. (One side to the phone line jack on the wall, the other side to the adapter jack in the USB port of my OBi device.) My telephone connects to the OBi 202's jack named "telephone 1".

But I test whenever I connect my telephone to the wall directly, it will ring when someone presses the doorbell.

So there is no way that I could use my telephone to both answer the doorbell and make GV calls at the same time?

Thank you!

drgeoff

Quote from: Sysler on August 13, 2019, 08:56:13 PM
Quote from: azrobert on August 06, 2019, 05:19:52 PM
If you have an OBi212, just connect the Line port to your wall jack.

If you have an OBi20x then you need an OBiLine adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/OBiLINE-Adapter-Devices-OBi1062-OBi1032/dp/B00DP4YOJ6/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3IHR7CM9SVYM2&keywords=obiline&qid=1565136642&s=gateway&sprefix=obilone%2Caps%2C187&sr=8-1

I would just get a cheap phone for your intercom.

Hi, I purchased the OBiLine adapter per your recommendation. My telephone still doesn't ring when someone presses the doorbell.

Failed scenario: I connect the telephone jack on the wall to OBi adapter through a telephone line. (One side to the phone line jack on the wall, the other side to the adapter jack in the USB port of my OBi device.) My telephone connects to the OBi 202's jack named "telephone 1".

But I test whenever I connect my telephone to the wall directly, it will ring when someone presses the doorbell.

So there is no way that I could use my telephone to both answer the doorbell and make GV calls at the same time?

Thank you!
I assume you don't mean literally "at the same time".  You mean "use my telephone to both answer the doorbell and make GV calls" without needing to rearrange the wiring between doing one and the other.

You appear to have the phone, OBi202 and doorbell line connected up appropriately.

After things have settled down, what is the LED on the OBiLINE doing.  Off, lit or flashing and colour?

Temporarily unplug the OBiLINE from the wall and instead have the cord between the OBiLINE and the PHONE2 port of the OBi202.  Unplug power to the 202 for 15 seconds then reapply.  Wait for things to settle.  Is the OBiLINE LED now solid green?  If yes, take the phone off-hook and dial a single #.  You should hear ringing and within a few seconds the OBiLINE LED should change to blinking green. Hang up the phone.  It should ring.  Take the phone off-hook.  Ringing should cease.  Hang up the phone.

If the above works, restore the OBiLINE connection to the doorbell.  Have someone push the doorbell while you observe the OBiLINE's LED.  Does it flash green?