News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

One line on OBI202 quit working

Started by EddieC, August 07, 2019, 05:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EddieC

I have 2 phone lines on my OBI202 that were working fine the first 4 weeks after setup. Now, all of a sudden, one of the lines has quit working. Line 1 is just dead and line 2 is working fine.  How to correct?

SteveInWA

How do you know, conclusively, if it's dead or not?  Have you tried another (different, known-to-work) telephone and cord?

Have you looked at the device status in "expert configuration" mode?  If not, do so.  The voltages should be similar (within a couple of volts) to my screenshot attached below.

Unplug BOTH phone cords from the device.  Power it off and on again.  Plug in a one-line telephone into the PHONE 1 jack.  Pick up the phone.  The LED on the OBi for that line should start blinking in a regular on/off cadence, and you should hear a dial tone.  If you don't, it's fried.  There are no user serviceable parts inside.

EddieC

How do you know, conclusively, if it's dead or not?  Have you tried another (different, known-to-work) telephone and cord?

--I plugged a wired telephone into port #1 and got nothing. No dial tone.
--I dialed the phone number for the phone plugged into port #1 and got "we're sorry but you've reached a number that has been disconnected........"

--I plugged the same wired telephone into port #2 and got a dial tone and able to dial out.
-- I dialed the phone number for the phone plugged into port #1 and the phone rang as expected

Have you looked at the device status in "expert configuration" mode?  If not, do so.  The voltages should be similar (within a couple of volts) to my screenshot attached below.

--I searched everywhere after logging into obitalk.com and could not find where the "expert configuration" mode is??

Unplug BOTH phone cords from the device.  Power it off and on again.  Plug in a one-line telephone into the PHONE 1 jack.  Pick up the phone.  The LED on the OBi for that line should start blinking in a regular on/off cadence, and you should hear a dial tone.  If you don't, it's fried.  There are no user serviceable parts inside.

--I'll try this when I get to the office in the morning.  The unit is only 6 weeks old.... Do you know if there is a warranty?

SteveInWA

Yes, it has a one-year warranty.

Your testing doesn't make any sense.  The fact that it doesn't have a dial tone has nothing to do with getting a disconnected error message on an inbound call, since that error message comes from the telephone service provider, not the OBi device, so I don't know what you're doing.  Furthermore, there is no way that dialing the same number would produce a "we're sorry" error message when the phone is plugged into one port vs. the other.  Finally, the phone should not ring when plugged into the phone 2 port, unless you explicitly configured the OBi to ring BOTH phone 1 and phone 2 ports for SP1.  You didn't describe how you set up the device, nor which service providers you configured on SP1 -- SP4.

I provided a screenshot of how to navigate to the phone port status page.  To get there, go to your OBiTALK dashboard, click on your device, scroll down to the bottom, click the blue button that says "OBi Expert Configuration" and follow the instructions.

EddieC

Thanks, Steve..... very helpful as I really don't know what I'm doing here.... other than both lines worked for 4 weeks and now one does not.

I navigated to the screen and made a screen shot of the port status. It's different from the one you sent, but I don't know what it all means. I'm attaching if you would look and let me know, please.

SteveInWA

Phone 1 is showing off-hook.  Completely unplug the telephone cords from the OBi, and then refresh that page.  Both Phone 1 and Phone 2 should display approximately the same values.  If Phone 1 still looks like it did in your screenshot, then there is a hardware failure.

Please explain in clear detail, which Internet Telephone Service Provider(s) (ITSPs) you are using with your device.  It can host four different SIP registrations, one each on SP1 through SP4.  The OBiTALK dashboard enables you to send inbound calls on those SPs to either Phone 1 or Phone 2 or both.  You need to set that up according to your desired results.

EddieC

Thanks, Steve
I'll unplug and refresh tomorrow morning.

We are using Google Voice as a telephone provider. These lines are used for outgoing calls only....no incoming calls.

EddieC

I followed your instructions and there was no change. SP1 port still does not work, so appears that this is a hardware problem.  How do I get this unit replaced?

drgeoff

Have the phones used with the OBi202 always been plugged into it directly?  Has the OBi202 ever been plugged in to home or office phone wiring?

EddieC

Yes, the phones being used with our OBI202 have always been plugged into it directly.

No, the OBI202 has never been plugged into home or office phone wiring....always directly to the phones themselves.

I did the test by dialing the special OBIhai number using line 2 and was able to hear my voice bounce back. Line 1 is dead so not able to test anything here.

Just to note as indicated earlier, everything was working fine on both lines for about a month. Then all of a sudden line 1 quit working. Just to make sure it was not the telephone, I used the phone that is working for line 2 and plugged it into line 1 and 'nothing'. Plugged the same phone back into line 2 on the OBI device and works fine.