News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice not ringing my OBI no more

Started by adfsfasdgsadfhgd, August 08, 2019, 06:19:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adfsfasdgsadfhgd

I have had this setup for over 1 year and rarely had issues.
How can I test my Obi? I have done the echo test and that is ok. But is it possible to test calls? If so how?

I can call out using the OBi to landlines or cell phones and it works.
I can't receive calls as the phone doesn't ring. I do see the missed calls on the google portal.
I have checked to make sure the ringer is on. I have used other phones at the house plugged into the Obi device.
THe OBI device has 3 green lights that are steady lit up.

I try to follow the instructions
https://www.obitalk.com/info/faq/GV-and-the-OBi/My-OBi-Does-Not-Ring

but my google voice site doesn't look like that and I don't have a " make sure Google Chat is checked" checkbox.

I do see my OBI device listed under my google voice setting to forward call to the OBI and I see the SIP address.
Any suggestions?

adfsfasdgsadfhgd

Is it possible for the obi not to pass enough voltage to make a phone ring?
I can make call from the home phone and I can receive calls but the phone doesn't ring but I can see the lights flashing on the device as a call is coming in. Also I can see the lights on the portable phone light up as the call is coming in but no ringing.

drgeoff

Quote from: adfsfasdgsadfhgd on January 28, 2020, 03:58:58 PM
Is it possible for the obi not to pass enough voltage to make a phone ring?
I can make call from the home phone and I can receive calls but the phone doesn't ring but I can see the lights flashing on the device as a call is coming in. Also I can see the lights on the portable phone light up as the call is coming in but no ringing.
Yes it is possible but there can be many other causes.

Is the phone plugged directly into the OBi and not by house wiring? You mention other phones in your earlier post.

Using Expert mode on the portal look at Physical Interfaces, Phone Port, Ringer, RingVoltage. And some phones respond better to Trapezoidal Waveform instead of Sinusoidal.

Of course it is possible that the hardware generating the ring voltage has failed.  Only fix for that is to replace the OBi.

adfsfasdgsadfhgd

The phone is connected to OBI directly and still no noise. I have checked to make sure the ringer is on on the phone. I just wanted to see how I can check the OBI device for proper voltage. A storm may have cause the device not to work properly now. The only thing not working is the ability to make the ringer ring. I would think if I can make calls, receive calls, talk on he phone that the device would be ok.

azrobert

You can use a smartphone or a computer as an external ringer. Just install the GV app on a smartphone. You can use an old handset without a cell plan connected to WiFi. Or install a softphone on a computer then route calls from your OBi to the softphone.

adfsfasdgsadfhgd

Ok I don't understand how this could work.
So say I install google voice on my smartphone. Then I have GV forward the calls to my cell phone number? That would take the OBI out of the loop.

azrobert

The call will be routed to the OBi and smartphone and both will "ring". You would be able to answer the call on either device.

Edit:
If you are going to use WiFi, a setting on the GV app needs to be changed.
Go to Settings
Under Calls tap Making and Receiving Calls
Select Prefer WiFi and Mobile data

drgeoff

Quote from: adfsfasdgsadfhgd on January 29, 2020, 06:12:06 AM
The phone is connected to OBI directly and still no noise.
Do you mean that the phone is now connected directly to the OBi, but at time(s) previously the OBi has been connected via house wiring to the phone(s)?

adfsfasdgsadfhgd

Yes I have connected the phone directly to the OBi device but it was connected to the house wiring and phone at the same time. I was back feeding the house lines for other phones but only have one wall jack in the room where the Obi device and internet router is located along with a desk phone.
I think I'm hosed and Ned's new device.