News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Help receiving Faxes with Polycom OBi200/Google Voice/Brother Fax

Started by proeyelawrence, August 09, 2019, 09:23:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

proeyelawrence

I have Brother MFC-L2710DW printer/fax machine. I setup polycom obi200 with google voice. I am able to send out faxes but not receive them. The printer shows receiving on screen but wont receive it or print the fax. I went into compatibility settings on brother and changed to basic (for VOIP). I changed auto answer on and rings to 2.
Google voice dashboard shows phone call coming in on web and then leaves a voicemail but says transcript not available. I am wondering what other settings should I try to be able to receive faxes. I verified I am on latest firmware with obi (3.2.2).

drgeoff

AIUI GV voicemail means that GV has answered the call, not your fax machine.

Dial ***1 and note the IP address that is read out to you.  Put that address in a web browser and log in with admin and admin as username and password.  Click on Status, then on Call History.  Do you see 3 lines with times of "Ringing", "Call Connected" and "End Call" or only 2, ie "Ringing" and "End  Call".

proeyelawrence

I see ringing, calll connected and call ended

drgeoff

Your incoming calls are ringing for 20 seconds before being connected.  That is close to GV's voicemail 25 seconds cut in.  Can you reduce the fax machine's 'rings before answer' any further to see what happens?

proeyelawrence

Changed to quicker answer and still not going through.

SteveInWA

The logs show that your fax machine is answering the call, then, roughly 15 seconds later, the call hangs up.  This isn't being caused by Google Voice.  The fax negotiation is failing.  There are several possible causes, all resulting in the inability of the fax modems on either side of the call being unable to set up the "conversation".  Your Internet service could be unreliable enough to cause excessive jitter or latency, or the carrier path between the sending fax machine and Google Voice could be degraded, or you've got the machine set up to use fax error correction or a too-high speed.

Try setting the fax to 9600 bps and turn off error correction. If that doesn't work, try sending a fax from some other machine/location.  If it still fails, then it's not going to work.

proeyelawrence

Its weird that it works perfect for sending them out but cant receive. Ill try brother to see if they have any thoughts.

Any reason to try an original obihai instead of the newer polycom?

SteveInWA

The "original Obihai" and the "Polycom" versions are the same hardware.  Only the color of the plastic case changed.  Try changing the settings on your fax machine as I posted earlier.

KJHeinz

Hello - I was wondering if you had any luck configuring your FAX.
I have the same machine and when I connect my Obi202 "Phone Line 2" to the FAX on the Brother MFC port, the OBi shows an "off hook" indication.
When I push "Hook" on the Brother MFC I can hear static but no dial tone.
When I connect a phone to the same "Phone Line 2" on the Obi, I get a normal dial tone and can make and receive calls.

drgeoff

Quote from: KJHeinz on August 13, 2019, 08:23:52 AM
Hello - I was wondering if you had any luck configuring your FAX.
I have the same machine and when I connect my Obi202 "Phone Line 2" to the FAX on the Brother MFC port, the OBi shows an "off hook" indication.
When I push "Hook" on the Brother MFC I can hear static but no dial tone.
When I connect a phone to the same "Phone Line 2" on the Obi, I get a normal dial tone and can make and receive calls.

@KJHeinz

Please do not:

1. Hijack other threads.

2. Post essentially the same question more than once. That does not get it seen by more eyes and getting responses scattered in muliple places makes it more difficult for those attempting to assist you. The questions from other responders and your answers to them are best in ONE place for everyone to easily see when diagnosing a problem.

KJHeinz

Thank you for your reply - I never heard of Hijacking a Thread
I was asking the original poster, not you, a question directly related to the thread in which I posted
I do not know of a more direct way to get a response to my question from the poster.
Do you own a Brother MFC 2710DW?  If so, perhaps you can answer my question.

drgeoff

Quote from: KJHeinz on August 16, 2019, 09:24:01 AM
Thank you for your reply - I never heard of Hijacking a Thread
I was asking the original poster, not you, a question directly related to the thread in which I posted
I do not know of a more direct way to get a response to my question from the poster.
Do you own a Brother MFC 2710DW?  If so, perhaps you can answer my question.

Your problem is completely different from that of the original poster.

I do not have your model printer but do have a Brother MFC-J4510DW working fine with an OBi.

Please confine further discussion to your other thread.

biggpimpn2u

Check your GV settings Under phone number click Transfer to get to Phones Tab You will be taken to Old GV setup page  Further click Calls tab make sure Call screening is Off and then try to test fax again.  That's what did the trick for me good luck