News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Can you set up an Obi202 without a working landline?

Started by lori555, August 11, 2019, 03:38:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lori555

No incoming or outgoing calls since a lightening strike 2 weeks ago. Obi is connected to the router, and shows as active in router management. Power light solid green; both phone lights blinking. Phones are on the hook and charged.

When I set up the Obi202 a number of years ago, we got rid of  both our landlines and have been using Google Voice. So, today I decided to try to factory reset the router to get everything working again. However setup instructions say "plug in your phone" I am now thinking this needs to be a working, landline phone? Which I no longer have?

Any help appreciated--

drgeoff

You only need an ordinary analogue phone, the type that connects to landline phone service from the local telco.  You do NOT need a landline.

Whatever phone that you were using before the lightning strike is OK for setting up the OBi again.  (Provided the phone was not damaged by the lightning.)

However, the OBi's PHONE LEDs blinking is a bad sign and could mean that your OBi is damaged.  Unplug the phone(s) from the PHONE1 (and PHONE2 if relevant) sockets.  Disconnect power from the OBi, wait 30 seconds then connect the power again.  After about 1 minute what are the PHONE LEDs doing?

lori555

Thanks for your reply. Phone lines blinking since lightening strike, through multiple power off and restart efforts.

As I said, yesterday I tried to factory reset the router, thinking I could get things sorted by starting from scratch. However, when I powered it back up, both phone lights are still blinking, and when I plug a phone directly into the Obi, there is no dial tone, and I can't connect to anything.

Sounds like I need a new one. Good to know I don't need a landline to set it up!

drgeoff

I agree with your conclusion that a new OBi is required.