News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi 202 Phone Line 2 No Dial Tone

Started by KJHeinz, August 13, 2019, 07:20:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KJHeinz

Hello - I have an Obi202 using Google Voice.  I am using the one SP (Google Voice) but using both Phone Lines on the Obi202 so I have both Incoming and Outgoing calls selected for both lines on my Dashboard.
I have hooked up a phone to Line 1 and it works for both incoming and outgoing calls - great.
When I hook the phone up to Line 2 it still works for both incoming and outgoing calls - still great.
When I hook up a FAX machine to Line 2, the green indicator blinks slowly and I cannot hear a dial tone in the FAX.  The same goes to hooking it up to Line 1.
I have checked with the FAX manufacturer and have the settings set for VOIP - still no dial-tone.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

drgeoff

Quote from: KJHeinz on August 13, 2019, 07:20:23 AM
Hello - I have an Obi202 using Google Voice.  I am using the one SP (Google Voice) but using both Phone Lines on the Obi202 so I have both Incoming and Outgoing calls selected for both lines on my Dashboard.
I have hooked up a phone to Line 1 and it works for both incoming and outgoing calls - great.
When I hook the phone up to Line 2 it still works for both incoming and outgoing calls - still great.
When I hook up a FAX machine to Line 2, the green indicator blinks slowly and I cannot hear a dial tone in the FAX.  The same goes to hooking it up to Line 1.
I have checked with the FAX manufacturer and have the settings set for VOIP - still no dial-tone.
Am I missing something?
Thanks

The OBi thinks that the fax machine is off-hook.

Leave the cord between OBI PHONE port plugged in to the OBi but unplugged from the fax machine. If the relevant OBi PHONE LED remains blinking, the cord is faulty. If the LED stops blinking and stays out you need to investigate the fax machine. If it has two sockets, eg one for "Tel line" and one for "Phone", ensure the OBi is connected to the former.

If stll unresolved what happens if you unplug the fax machine from the AC power socket?

Lavarock7

Just so you know, fax machines like the HP often come with a 2 pin telephone cord not a 4 pin. They say the 4 pin can cause issues (probably using the extra pins for something else internally).

Are you using a 2 pin wire for the fax? You can easily tell because there are only 2 pins obviously used on each end.

My websites: Kona Coffee: http://itskona.com and Web Hosting: http://planetaloha.info<br />A simplified Voip explanation: http://voip.planet-aloha.com

drgeoff

Quote from: Lavarock7 on August 13, 2019, 11:57:46 AM
Just so you know, fax machines like the HP often come with a 2 pin telephone cord not a 4 pin. They say the 4 pin can cause issues (probably using the extra pins for something else internally).

Are you using a 2 pin wire for the fax? You can easily tell because there are only 2 pins obviously used on each end.

While using a 4 wire cord might conceivably cause an issue with the PHONE1 socket on an OBi202 which uses the centre 4 pins there would be no problem with PHONE2 socket which has only the centre 2 pins connected to anything inside the 202.

KJHeinz

Thank you for your replies:
As suggested I have disconnected the telephone line from the Brother MFC-L2710, leaving the other connected to the Obi - the light goes to solid green. 
If I re-plug the FAX machine in the light starts blinking, even if the machine is turned off or is unplugged.
I have attempted the above with both a four-pin and two-pin cord.

FYI - the machine has only one telephone port and I have set the FAX receive mode to FAX, FAX/TELEPHONE and MANUAL with no difference in results.  I have also set the COMPATIBILITY mode to EASY(VOIP)

I think it is an issue with this particular machine.

drgeoff

Have a close look at the socket of the fax machine and check for bent pins.

Are you connecting the OBi and the printer with an ordinary RJ11 to RJ11 phone cord? No extender cables, adaptors etc.

drgeoff

Quote from: KJHeinz on August 16, 2019, 09:19:43 AM
FYI - the machine has only one telephone port and I have set the FAX receive mode to FAX, FAX/TELEPHONE and MANUAL with no difference in results.  I have also set the COMPATIBILITY mode to EASY(VOIP)
FYI - the machine has 2 sockets. One labelled LINE and one labelled EXT. You should be using the LINE socket.

KJHeinz

Thanks for the reply -
I see there is an EXT socket as well - but it has a cover on it, so I have been using the LINE socket all along.

I have several telephone cables laying around from various machines bought over the years, and after messing around with them I found one that doesn't create the "off-hook" signal in the Obi.

I now successfully sent and receive a fax.

Thanks again...