News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Replacing MagicJack

Started by SL500, August 12, 2019, 10:32:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SL500

I have a MagicJack plugged into a wireless home phone system....I do Not have a landline. When someone dials my MJ phone number I pick up any handset and answer.
I would like to plug the Orbi200 into my current phone system in place of my MagicJack. From the set up it seems I can't do that. The only choice I could find is for it to ring my cell phone number. My old MJ number is unimportant so I got an Orbi number. Either I'm confused or it's not possible.....Help!

drgeoff

Quote from: SL500 on August 12, 2019, 10:32:12 AM
I have a MagicJack plugged into a wireless home phone system....I do Not have a landline. When someone dials my MJ phone number I pick up any handset and answer.
I would like to plug the Orbi200 into my current phone system in place of my MagicJack. From the set up it seems I can't do that. The only choice I could find is for it to ring my cell phone number. My old MJ number is unimportant so I got an Orbi number. Either I'm confused or it's not possible.....Help!

You are confused.

1.  The device is an OBi200.  No 'r' in that.

2.  Every Obi device has a 9 digit OBi number.  That number can only be rung from another OBi device.  And from that number you can only call other OBi devices.

3.  To make calls to 'ordinary' telephone numbers (eg telco landlines and cellphones) and receive calls from them you need to get service from one or more Internet Telephony Service Providers (ITSPs).  The are a  multitude to choose from including Callcentric, voip.ms, Google Voice. I'm not implying that these 3 examples are in any way better than the others. Each ITSP has its own call rates, packages, features so no-one can recommend which one is best for you. An OBi200 can have up to 4 ITSPs registered on it. When you sign up to an ITSP they will allocate you a phone number (a DID), possibly with an area code appropriate to your location.  Some ITSPs may be able to 'port' your existing MJ number.

4.  Many OBi users are attracted to Google Voice (GV) because it offers free calls to USA and Canada numbers.