December 12, 2019, 06:39:04 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
News:

Forum Home   Search Login Register OBiTALK  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Obi302 Unlock for Custom Australian Service Providers  (Read 5177 times)
Konos

« on: August 16, 2019, 09:49:32 pm »

Hi All,

I have purchased an Obi302 from Amazon and cannot use it. The Service Providers option is missing from the menu. After a long period of frustration I have been led to believe that the Obi302 is not configurable by end users as they are a service provider managed unit.

There is no advertising or labeling to suggest that this device is for any particular service provider and the seller gave no indication as such.

This topic suggests that we need to set the Customization State.
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=10927.0
Unfortunately, the OP does not go into detail about the resolution of the problem

How might that be achieved?
How does one unlock this device?

Thanks
Nathan
« Last Edit: August 16, 2019, 09:53:35 pm by Konos » Logged
drgeoff
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 04:05:29 am »

Was this unit purchased directly from Amazon or was it from another vendor using the Amazon shopfront?

Have you been able to register the unit to your dashboard - the **5 nnnn procedure?  If not, any reason given?

Obi302s have been available retail but are more commonly supplied by ITSPs in a customised and "locked" state.

I expect that Obihai do have the means to unlock a device.  However, my observation of posts here suggests to me that since about 2 years ago the percentage of satisfactory responses from OBihai support has reached a rather low level.

Why did you order a 302 rather than a 202?
Konos

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 05:42:22 am »

Bought it from a store front....

Can't register using the **5 procedure... "There is no call route available to complete your call"

Obihai / Polycom do have the means to unlock it, they don't advertise the procedure. Nor do they advertise the differences between the models...

I just thought the 302 was later version than the 202 not listed on the Obitalk web site.

The new Polycom badged models however, do show up on their website as actual models.
https://www.polycom.com/voice-conferencing-solutions/voip-adapters.html

The status page shows CustomizationStatus   Contacting Server: File Not Found

I suspect that the units configuration parameter X_CustomizationStatus is not set to "Unlocked" so i am investigating the procedure to manipulate this manually.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 06:10:28 am by Konos » Logged
Konos

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:31:59 am »

So it appears that this has been factory provisioned with Zero-Touch

From the Provisioning Guide...

Obihai ZT is a proprietary technology for “late customization” for service provider customers. Customization is finalized when the unit is first plugged in at the end-user’s location. This allows service providers to ship devices in their original packaging to end-users without any pre-configuration.
When a service provider customer places an order with Obihai for ZT devices, it must also define a ZT profile (or re-use an existing one previously defined). A ZT profile is just a device configuration profile with a small number of customized device parameter values. The ZT profile must be validated and approved by Obihai Technology. When ZT units are shipped from the factory, Obihai records vital information (such as MAC and Serial#) for each device and links it in a database to the ZT profile already defined for that shipment. ZT-enabled devices leave the factory in the “pre-customized” state. While in this state, the device will continuously attempt to complete customization by downloading its ZT profile from the ZT Server at Obihai.com. Its functionality is otherwise very limited in this state: end-user may change some basic network parameters such as DHCP and IP address, but may not set up a service provider’s service for example. A very basic ZT profile would include a ConfigURL that points to a provisioning server managed by the service provider.
When a ZT profile is successfully downloaded and stored, the device operates in the “customized” state. It is in this state that the device can operate normally under the management of the service provider. The service provider should bear in mind the following points regarding their ZT devices:
 As the ZT profile is defined, each parameter specified in the profile may be permanently locked down. No one can change the value of a locked down parameter after the unit is customized.
 Factory resetting the device restores all the customized parameters to the values defined in the original ZT profile; other parameters are restored to their corresponding factory default values

drgeoff
Hero Member & Beta Tester

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 07:02:38 am »

Return it to the seller as not fit for sale.  Buy an OBi202.
Konos

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 06:53:24 pm »

I have successfully registered the unit now and enabled custom service providers.

Resolution:
I contacted Obihai support (Now Polycom/Poly) via support@obihai.com
Support agent took the Obi number of the unit and unlocked it at their end.
The unit could then be registered to the Obitalk dashboard with **5 xxxx
The unit can then be programmed to allow custom service providers from the dashboard.

Thanks to the support desk for the prompt assistance.
MartinReyes13

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 01:14:15 am »

Was this unit purchased directly from Amazon or was it from another vendor using the Amazon shopfront?

Have you been able to register the unit to your dashboard - the **5 nnnn procedure?  If not, any reason given?

Obi302s have been available retail but are more commonly supplied by ITSPs in a customised and "locked" state.

I expect that Obihai do have the means to unlock a device.  However, my observation of essaytyper posts here suggests to me that since about 2 years ago the percentage of satisfactory responses from OBihai support has reached a rather low level.

Why did you order a 302 rather than a 202?

I think you got in trouble with some fraud seller. Good that support desk helped you. I always address support desk right away when any issue comes up. It is the easiest and the fastest way to deal with that.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: