News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Blinking phone icon

Started by MikeE, August 28, 2019, 01:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeE

OBI 200 Blinking phone icon:  phone can't get dialtone, but phone panel doesn't say line in use, reboot obi, same status.  Reboot router.  During cycling of obi lights the phone icon stops blinking and stays steady and when the obi gets situated all lights green and dialtone works.  Then, no dialtone again, phone icon blinking  Reboot router again.  No improvement.  Reboot obi again, no improvement.

MikeE

Quote from: MikeE on August 28, 2019, 01:05:15 PM
OBI 200 Blinking phone icon:  phone can't get dialtone,

It is working again.  Icon OK, dialtone OK, connecting OK.

MikeE

Rats!  It is off again; blinking phone icon, no dialtone.

MikeE

Quote from: MikeE on August 28, 2019, 01:45:04 PM

Rats!  It is off again; blinking phone icon, no dialtone.

I found an article that said to disable DMZ for the obi IP or MAC.  I did that (except in my router's case to disable the DMZ you turn it on instead of off).  No joy.  Still blinking phone icon and no dialtone.

MikeE

The DMZ article was a recommendation if the phone could neither call nor receive.  My phone can receive calls, but cannot get a dialtone and cannot dial out.

MikeE

And I have another problem; login difficulty.

I can only login with my google account.  I cannot login with my Obi account password.  So, I can access my profile in the obi account, but I can't successfully change or make my password something that I know.

MikeE

Jeez.  What a pain.

Now I have the login fixed so that I can login either with google account or obi password.  Now I'm having a problem trying to use the obi password to access the obi device by IP. 

The authentication says I'm admin@OBI200 as opposed to my login username which is an email address and the obi account password plus either the login user/email or the admin@obi200 with the obi password doesn't work.  The uathentication to the obi IP address isn't accepted.

MikeE

Further insanity.  Now the phone icon and dialtone are working again for the time being.

I'm still looking for some help about:

- what is going on?
- how do I authenticate to access the obi device at its IP?

MikeE

Quote from: MikeE on August 28, 2019, 02:46:10 PM
- how do I authenticate to access the obi device at its IP?

nevermind; I got that authenticate to the obi device worked out.

I was prepared to post the info blurb here when I fully realized what it was saying.  Doh.

drgeoff

Logging in to your account at obitalk.com is different from logging in to the device's onboard web server at its IP address on your LAN.

You do the former using either:

1.  The email address you used when you set up the account at obitalk.com.  And the password you chose then or changed to subsequently.

or

2.  Using your Google account credentials.

Logging in to the device locally is done with username admin.  The default password is admin but you may have changed it.

Changes you make to logging in to obitalk.com have no affect on logging in to the device locally.  And vice-versa.

MikeE

Quote from: drgeoff on August 28, 2019, 03:16:27 PM
Logging in to your account at obitalk.com is different from logging in to the device's onboard web server at its IP address on your LAN.

Thanks.

Yes, I'm all squared away on the login business 2 different ways and another for the device.

Do you have any opinions about what is going on with the intermittent failure resulting in blinking phone icon and no dialtone?  One place I read said that was a symptom of a failing device,  When it is in that status, I cannot access it with  * * 9 222-222-222?

drgeoff

Quote from: MikeE on August 29, 2019, 02:07:54 AM
Quote from: drgeoff on August 28, 2019, 03:16:27 PM

Thanks.

Yes, I'm all squared away on the login business 2 different ways and another for the device.

Do you have any opinions about what is going on with the intermittent failure resulting in blinking phone icon and no dialtone?  One place I read said that was a symptom of a failing device,  When it is in that status, I cannot access it with  * * 9 222-222-222?
First thing I would do is try another power supply.  12 volt, 1 amp, centre positive.

MikeE

Quote from: drgeoff on August 29, 2019, 05:12:38 AM

First thing I would do is try another power supply.  12 volt, 1 amp, centre positive.

Good point.  I recently had a power supply for an access point totally fail.  Prior to that, for years the AP has occasionally 'dropped out' which required rebooting to restore.  Since replacing the PS with one I had which belonged to another router not currently in use, I haven't yet had any drop outs.  Funky PS gives unpredictable results.