News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Routing voicemails to handset

Started by FriendsHousing, September 04, 2019, 09:57:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FriendsHousing

I have an Obi202 set up with a google voice number that routes calls to a panasonic wireless phone handset (kx-tge430).  Ultimately, the goal is to have ALL voicemails be routed to the handset answering machine (as opposed to come through on the email associated with the google voice number).  In essence, I'd like the googlevoice and obihai solution to be invisible to the user.

I am a novice when it comes to advanced settings in the ObiExpert Configuration Menu, but my impression is that I need to toggle some of the "CallForwardOn.." settings in the calling features.  Please help me figure this out.

drgeoff

Quote from: FriendsHousing on September 04, 2019, 09:57:43 AM
I have an Obi202 set up with a google voice number that routes calls to a panasonic wireless phone handset (kx-tge430).  Ultimately, the goal is to have ALL voicemails be routed to the handset answering machine (as opposed to come through on the email associated with the google voice number).  In essence, I'd like the googlevoice and obihai solution to be invisible to the user.

I am a novice when it comes to advanced settings in the ObiExpert Configuration Menu, but my impression is that I need to toggle some of the "CallForwardOn.." settings in the calling features.  Please help me figure this out.
GV voicemail answers a call that is not picked up within about 25 seconds.  It cannot be turned off.  The time cannot be changed.  Unless a human picks up a handset within that time or the Panasonic is set to answer within that time or the OBi's AutoAttendant is set to answer within that time, calls will go to GV voicemail.

Operation of the Auto Attendant is described on page of 124 of https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf.  If configured to answer after say 20 seconds the user will hear some options the first of which is "Press 1 to continue this call".  Doing that will start to ring the phone.  Either a human will answer it or the Panasonic (set to more than say 30 seconds) answering machine will.  If the caller does not dial anything the default result is that after some time the AA will silently dial that 1.  That default can be turned off.

Note that using the AA means that the phone will not ring at any time before AA answers and the caller keys a '1' or the timeout to default '1' has happened.

FriendsHousing

Thanks for your help!  I read through the admin guide you directed me towards, but I'm afraid it reads like a foreign language to me.  I simply changed the ring count to 3 rings on the panasonic handset (18 seconds).  And if I'm understanding you correctly, this should interrupt google voice from "picking up the call"?