News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Limiting Incoming Callers

Started by Dave-in-TN, September 04, 2019, 01:08:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave-in-TN

As I mentioned in my other post a little while ago, I'm a brand new user who has just ported their landline number of 20+ years to GV, and my OBi200 should be arriving Friday.

We really don't use our landline that much, but it is the first number our kids and other extended family call when they want to reach us because we never have our cell phones close by when we're at home. So, I'm thinking I'd like to set up the OBi200 so that it will only ring through if the call is coming from a finite list of numbers belonging to family members. Ideally, what I would like to have happen if the call is not from one of those numbers is for the call to never ring on our end and just roll the caller over to GV voicemail which we will check periodically via the GV app on our phones or iPads.

Is this doable? If so, where would I start? I'm a total newbie, but I'm pretty sure I can learn quickly if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!

ShazamInForum

Google Voice service overseas rates per Guatemala:

Calling to Landline is $0.11/minute
Calling to Mobile is $0.12/minute

...now that's a lot.

Set your OBi200 device (with your own Google Voice account) here in the states.  Get secondary OBi200 device with another Google Voice service account (per your parents'), make sure to do a complete setup here in the US first, make sure the inbound and outbound calls are good then relocate this secondary OBi200 device to Guatemala City.  This way, your parents call back to the US (and Canada) at low rate of a penny/minute (I think) and keep in mind this is Guatemala to US only.

Also:  OBi-to-OBi calls at no costs:

Your parents call you direct at phone connected to their OBi device to your OBi device by dialing that **9 + your OBi's unique 9 digit numbers.  And you can also call them direct.  This OBi-to-OBi bypass overseas rates, no costs to you or your parents.

If your parents needs to call someone locally within Guatemala City (or Guatemala), you will need to find out if Guatemala has any VoIP Service Provider that you can sign up for your parents and register that VoIP Service to their OBi device / OBiTALK's Compatible Service Provider / Generic Service Provider...with the SIP Credentials. 

ShazamInForum

More on the "Also:  OBi-to-OBi calls at no costs:"

Once you have added your parents' OBi200 device (that secondary OBi device) under your OBiTALK account, your parents call direct to your OBi device 9 digit numbers, reach the OBiTALK Auto-Attendant, press option 2 and your parents to continue-on to call another US phone number or Canadian phone number, for free.

drgeoff

@Shazam
You are posting in the wrong topic.

ShazamInForum

Yes, I realized that after hitting "Post".  Oops..  Thanks for pointing that out.

drgeoff

Quote from: Dave-in-TN on September 04, 2019, 01:08:26 PM
As I mentioned in my other post a little while ago, I'm a brand new user who has just ported their landline number of 20+ years to GV, and my OBi200 should be arriving Friday.

We really don't use our landline that much, but it is the first number our kids and other extended family call when they want to reach us because we never have our cell phones close by when we're at home. So, I'm thinking I'd like to set up the OBi200 so that it will only ring through if the call is coming from a finite list of numbers belonging to family members. Ideally, what I would like to have happen if the call is not from one of those numbers is for the call to never ring on our end and just roll the caller over to GV voicemail which we will check periodically via the GV app on our phones or iPads.

Is this doable? If so, where would I start? I'm a total newbie, but I'm pretty sure I can learn quickly if pointed in the right direction.

Thanks!
Yes that is perfectly doable.

1.  You make a User Defined Digit Map (labelled say acc) containing the numbers you want to accept.  It has the format:

(1234567890|2345678901|3456789012)

ie the numbers separated by a '|' and the list within '()'.

The actual numbers depend on the way that your ITSP formats the CLI sent to your OBi.  Look at Call History by logging in to the OBi's onboard web server.

2.  Change the X_InboundCallRoute of the SP you are using to

{Macc:ph},{}

Everything you need to know (and lots that you do not) are contained in the Admin Guide. https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf . Maybe after the 3rd read through it will begin to make sense.  :)

Dave-in-TN

Quote from: drgeoffEverything you need to know (and lots that you do not) are contained in the Admin Guide. https://www.obitalk.com/info/documents/admin_guide/OBiDeviceAdminGuide.pdf . Maybe after the 3rd read through it will begin to make sense.  :)

Thanks! I sure hope it only takes three times. I already took a peek, and I'm not that confident. :) Once I get my OBi200, I'll be able to actually try it out, and I'm sure it will start to make more sense.

azrobert

After you add the OBi200 to the portal and get GV working, you need to modify the configuration for your requirement. There are 2 methods to make modifications. You can use the portal for some changes, but it's limited on what can be modified. You would check a box or supply some info and the portal will make the configuration change, you don't have to worry about syntax. The other method is a function called OBi Expert and is used for more complex changes. Both methods will update the configuration on the portal and then it's downloaded to the physical device. The change you want to make requires OBi Expert.

When an inbound call arrives, the OBi200 will check the Inbound Call Route rules and route the call accordingly. The rules would check the CallerID and route the call to the phone port for family and friends, all others would be routed to nowhere. GV doesn't know what the OBi200 is doing and will route the call to VM after about 25 seconds with no answer.

Here is the code needed:
User Settings -> User defined Digits Maps -> UDD Map2:
Label: fam
DigitMap: (+18005551212|+18005551313|+18005551313)

This is a list of the CallerID's you want to ring.  GV sends an 11 digit CallerID with a "+" prefix. The UDDM is used to organize the code and make it more readable.

Voice Services -> SP1 Service -> X_InboundCallRoute: {(Mfam):ph}

The "M" indicates this is a UDDM. The "fam" points to UDDM2. This must be enclosed within parentheses. The inbound CallerID will be compared to the numbers in UDDM2 and upon a match will be routed to the Phone Port. All others will be routed to nowhere.

To enter OBi Expert from the Dashboard click on the gear ICON to the right of your OBi200 then select OBi Expert Config, confirm and select Enter OBi Expert.
To navigate click on the titles with the + then click on a sub-title.
Click on Voice Services then click SP1 Service
To make a change BOTH boxes to the right of the X_InboundCallRoute Value must be unchecked.
Make the change to the Value.
Click Submit at the bottom of the page.
OBiTalk will download the configuration changes to the OBi200 and reboot it.
Do the same for UDDM2