News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Unable to receive calls

Started by jkxray, September 06, 2019, 08:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkxray

OBI200 will make calls, but will not receive calls.  Router (ASUS RT-AC68W) SIP-ALG has been disabled; OBI200 and router have been rebooted.  Everything was working properly until receiving a msg. that the OBI is offline.  I have not yet signed up to Google Voice, but am using the OBI200 by itself before porting my landline over.  I am lost at this point, and have taken the OBI200 offline and reconnected my hard wired land line until this gets resolved... 
  OBI Support had me unplug phone from the OBi device phone port so they could check it's status.  Their report: We have reviewed the OBi device phone port status and the phone port is working within normal parameter.

drgeoff

How do you know that you can make but not receive calls? What Internet Telephony Service Provider(s) have you configured on your OBi200? What do you mean by "using the OBI200 by itself"?

jkxray

Was able to make calls both ways between my mobile and the OBI-connected phone until the OBI 'went offline'.  Since then only calls from the OBI-connected phone will work.  Using the OBI by itself means that I have done nothing more than connect the phone to it - perhaps it shouldn't work at all...  My purpose was to check the quality of VOIP over satellite (Viasat) internet prior to making the commitment of porting my phone number over to Google voice.  Hopefully this is understandable and makes sense.

drgeoff

You are not making any sense to me.

Until you sign up with an Internet Telephony Service Provider and configure an OBi to use it, the only service the OBi provides is Obitalk calls to and from devices with 9 digit OBi numbers.  There is such a number on the underside of your OBi and another one against 'Softphone' on your dashboard at obitalk.com.  Unless you installed the Obitalk app on your cellphone and allocated the softphone number to it, there is no way that you could previously have had successful calls between your OBi200 and a cellphone.

So either you have not been giving the complete information about your setup or you have been deluding yourself.

jkxray

Well, though the outcome seems to be impossible, here's the sequence of what I did.  The land line was disconnected at the box where it enters the house, and all the phone jacks went dead.  Then, I simply connected my land line phone to the Obi and configured it by making Obitalk calls with the 9 digit OBi numbers to and from it.  Then, I was actually able to make and receive calls both to my cell phone and other numbers, and carry on conversations.  By doing this, I was able to confirm that VOIP via satellite internet worked very well.  Perhaps I've discovered a previously unknown capability of the Obi...  At any rate, I guess the next step is to attempt to port the phone number over to an Internet Telephony Service Provider, as you refer to it, such as Google Voice.  I appreciate your comments and any additional thoughts you may have.