News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Porting Land Line Number to Google Voice

Started by markf1, September 09, 2019, 11:18:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

markf1

I am a new obi200 purchaser and I have started the process to port my long term land line phone number 728-xxxx to use with Google Voice via the obi200. I have read thru and followed the obi tutorial.

I have the Google Voice account established and the obi200 is connected and registered and available to see on the obi website dashboard. I can see the obi TALKDEVICE listed in my Google Voice setttings.

I have my mobile phone number519-xxx listed as a Linked Number in Google Voice settings.

I checked the Google Voice Number Porting Tool and my 728-xxxx land line number was shown as "Ooops! We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers." I have purchased a sim card and pay as you go plan from my mobile phone provider and they are porting my 728-xxxx number to their service such that it now becomes recognized as a mobile number. My understanding is this will allow me to then port the (now recognized as mobile) 728-xxxx number to Google Voice.

I have been notified that the change over and initial number porting from my land line provider (Century Link) to my mobile provider is to be completed by the end of the day today.

So far everything seems on track.What I am now struggling with is the last step.

#6 of the obi tutorial https://www.obitalk.com/info/tutorials/porttutorial:

"Go to your Google Voice account and request to port your T-Mobile number to Google Voice. The request to port link is found in, "Voice Settings." Look for the"Change/Port" link (click here for example screen shot). Google will charge a one-time fee of $20 for this service."

When I go to the google voice "Voice Settings" I see no "Change/Port" link. All I see is an option to add New Linked Number. Is that where I would enter my newly ported to mobile, 728-xxxx number to have Google Voice port it and charge me the $20 porting fee?

Sumary - I am not seeing where, in Google Voice, I can add my former xxx-728-xxxx land line number (which is now  hopefully recognized as mobile) and pay the $20 porting fee.

Thanks for any help. I am very apprehensive about this because using my land line number is very important to me. I have had it for over 30 years and it is embedded into many accounts, client contacts, etc, etc,etc.Thanks again for any help completing this new setup.

SteveInWA

Hi:

That porting tutorial is outdated, and, since it is unofficial (not provided by Google), it isn't getting updated.

There are two different Google Voice website user interfaces (UIs).  The original/old one is known as the "Legacy" UI, and it has been mostly (but not completely) replaced by the new UI.

The new UI doesn't have a method to port in numbers.  You need to first obtain one of Google Voice's free phone numbers (it sounds like you've done this), and then go to the legacy UI, where the port link will appear.

SteveInWA

I should also point out:  do NOT attempt to immediately "churn" your port to Google Voice.  Wait a full week first.  During that time, make sure that inbound calling and two-way SMS messaging all work properly on the new carrier.

markf1

Hi Steve,
Thank you for your reply! I had read about using the Legacy UI and also have tried that. I have attached a screen grab showing the Legacy UI. It does not show any option for porting a number.

However you can see in the screen grab that I have linked my existing mobile number but I have not gotten a Google Voice number. I was thinking that my, hoped to soon be available for porting, xxx-728-xxxx landline number would become my Google Voice number.

Do I first/also need to get an additional free Google Voice phone number?

Also - I do not have a phone to test the sim card and pre-paid plan I bought, from Tracfone, to have my xxx-728-xxxx landline number ported to. I was hoping to avoid the cost of buying a $125 phone just for that purpose. My existing xxx-519-xxxx mobile number is with Tracfone. I explained what I wanted to do to the Tracfone support people and they assured me I only needed to by a sim card and cheapest 30 day pre paid airtime card to have the xxx-728-xxxx number ported to them. So I have no way to test the number as you suggest. I would rather not wait an entire week to "churn" the port to Google Voice, is that definitely required?

Thanks again for your help!

SteveInWA

SMH.

As I said, you need to first get one of Google Voice's free phone numbers.  You cannot port in a number, unless the account already has a Google-issued Google Voice number.

And no, you cannot port without having the SIM installed in a working mobile phone handset, such that you can make and receive calls and send and receive text messages.  You must be able to answer a verification phone call.  This is an anti-fraud measure.

markf1

OK and sorry for causing you to shake your head. This is all new to me and I am anxious about the possibility of losing my long term phone number in the process.

I will get the free Google Voice number and I have just ordered an inexpensive unlocked GSM phone that should work with the sim card I have. Once the landline number is ported to google voice I will have no use for the unlocked phone but that's just the added cost of making this transition.

Thanks again.