News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

CaptionCall

Started by DavidFord, September 12, 2019, 11:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidFord

Hi People :)

Real briefly, I'll go over what we have and whats going on. I live with a disabled woman who is hard of hearing, and has Caption Call. When people call, what they say appears on the screen in text on the phone itself. This way she can read in case she missed what they said. Well as of the last few years, scammers etc, calls have picked up in numbers. Normally we dont answer. But again, they have gotten out of hand.

What Ive done, was go online, and find ways for this to end. Ive added house phone number to the "Do Not Call Registry" This only helped out a little. Then I did the *60 function we have, and add each number to a block list. This did help BIG time. Also added "Anonymous" and "Private Numbers" to be blocked as well. Well now the smart asses have gone the extra and we are now getting "None" as a caller ID from these people, and cant stop them. This "None" cant be blocked,cause its an official ID. For example:
me:
DavidFord
1-800-had-enough

Them:
None
(252) 656-3041  (This is an actual caller, with that ID)

They are now out of control (several different numbers, with that ID) The CaptionCall, is hooked up 3 different ways. First, into the main telephone connection in wall.(standard) The second, is through WiFi. And third, hard wired to the modem with one line. Will buy in this Obi work with CaptionCall and help filter these people out? If not, can you stare me in the right direction? Thank you.

SteveInWA

There are two separate components to US caller ID service:  the telephone number (CID) and the name (CNAM).  The name is not sent with the call routing information. Instead, the called party's telephone carrier attempts to look it up in a database (LIDB) of numbers matched to names.  If one is found, it's sent to the called party's phone.  Otherwise, the results are unpredictable.  The called party's carrier (YOUR carrier) may send a generic word or phrase to you, such as "UNKNOWN" or "UNKNOWN CALLER" or "PRIVATE CALLER" or the name of the local telephone rate center (like "Los Angeles").

In this case, there is no CNAM for this number.  Either your carrier is sending the word "NONE", or your telephone itself is substituting in that word.  It is not a real CNAM.

Attached is the information for that number.  It has no CNAM.  It's immaterial, anyhow, since call blocking tools typically can't block by name, instead of by number.

An OBi device won't help.  As far as I know, they are not compatible with Caption Call.

DavidFord

Thank you Steve :) So since this doesnt have a CNAM as you say, then either calling CaptionCall or Comcast (provider) should fix this?

azrobert

Comcast Xfinity is supported by NoMoRobo. Use the link below to get a free account. You need to setup simul-ring with the number supplied by NoMoRobo. The number you posted is in NoMoRobo's database and will be blocked.

https://www.nomorobo.com/

SteveInWA

Quote from: DavidFord on September 12, 2019, 03:48:26 PM
Thank you Steve :) So since this doesnt have a CNAM as you say, then either calling CaptionCall or Comcast (provider) should fix this?

To be clearer:  since these are fraudulent calls, the calling spammer is "spoofing" or faking the caller ID number being sent along with their call.  The actual telephone numbers they steal may or may not even be in service, so there is nothing that would be done to assign a caller ID name to them.  In some cases, they spoof working phone numbers that actually do have a CNAM database entry, and in those cases, you may see some innocent person's or company's name.

There is nothing whatsoever you can do to change the CNAM.

However, it is actually irrelevant, since all of the call blocking systems block by number, not by name.  If you sign up for nomorobo, it will identify and block many, but not all of these calls, by number.

ProfTech

QuoteI live with a disabled woman who is hard of hearing, and has Caption Call.
I don't know if it would work with your system or if it would be an option for this person, however I set up a system for an elderly person with a device that blocks any number that you have not specifically authorized. Here is how it works. You put a list of somewhere around 40 numbers into the box. If you receive a call from any other number it does not allow your phone to even ring. I think you may be able to send those calls to a standard answering machine if you wish to but I have not set that up or tried it. In my case those callers simply get dumped.

*edited* I looked up CaptionCall and it appears to be an IP or Voip device. The device I was referring to above only works with analog phones. Sorry. Maybe NoMoRobo is your best bet if you use Comcast XFinity.