News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi110 network connection problem

Started by newUser, September 28, 2011, 07:34:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newUser

I got the Obi110 device yesterday but could not connect it to Obitalk server. The problem is explained below. Any help will be appreciated!

1. After connecting the device to the internet router,  dial **9 222 222 222. The call cannot go through and had the error message "no service availble for this call"

2. Dial ***1, the phone speaks out the local IP address. The Obi110 device can be accessed by the local IP via my home network. The system status display shows Obitalk Service Status: acquiring service

3. The Obi110 is connected to a rounter and the router is connected to a DSL modem. The modem connect type is PPPoE.

Any suggestions to toubleshoot the problem?

anshuman26

could you try connecting to google voice? obitalk service had some issues few days back though it seems to have gotten OK...

if you cannot connect to google voice, then could you try connecting to google voice from your computer?

RonR

A number of us have been seeing "OBiTALK Service Status: Acquiring Service" sporadically lately.  It's unclear where the problem lies and there is no response from Obihai as to possible causes or solutions.

newUser

Thanks for reply. I was not able to setup google voice for OBi110 device due to connection problem. There is no prolem to use google voice from my PC.

Quote from: anshuman26 on September 28, 2011, 09:34:16 PM
could you try connecting to google voice? obitalk service had some issues few days back though it seems to have gotten OK...

if you cannot connect to google voice, then could you try connecting to google voice from your computer?

anshuman26

that's strange...if your device is getting an ip address, it should be able to connect to the internet...unless some ports are blocked..but then you shouldn't be able to make calls from your computer as well....what error does it say on the status page for google voice?

thaison

i just got this device and got the same problem.  the status is always in Acquiring Service.  It gets an ip number but no cant seem to log into the obihai network.  calling **9222222222 only gets me "no service available".  i've reset the device many times and even plug the device directly into modem.  What else needs to be done?

RonR

Quote from: thaison on February 22, 2012, 03:11:38 PM
calling **9222222222 only gets me "no service available".

An OBi straight out of the box which is unconfigured (i.e. at factory defaults), with a working Internet connection, should be able to reach the echo test server by dialing **9 222 222 222.

Try logging into the OBi (username/password = admin/admin) at the IP address returned by dialing ***1.  Look at the OBiTALK Service Status displayed at the bottom of the Main Status page that should come up.  The status should be : Normal (User Mode)

thaison

i've looked and reseted again but still getting the acquiring service.  i'm able to log in and see an ip, and i've even updated it.  not sure what else to do but return it.

thaison

Parameter Name Value 

Status Acquiring Service 
CallState 0 Active Calls 

that is what i'm getting on the status page

RonR

It's highly unlikely your OBi is defective since you can access it from your web broswer.  For some reason, the OBi is not making it to the Internet through your router.

Temporarily bypass the router by connecting the OBi directly to the modem.  Power-cycle both the OBi and the modem after making the direct connection.  Then try calling the echo test server at **9 222 222 222.

thaison

just did what you advised.  same result, no service available when i dial **9222222222.  what else can be done?  ty so much for your constant hellp.  also its still in acquiring service mode

RonR

I should have mentioned this in my previous post...

When you connected the OBi directly to the modem, did it get an IP address (reported by dialing ***1)?

thaison

yes, i'm getting an ip address by dialling ***1, also seeing the ip on the status page, just cant dial out

RonR

Quote from: thaison on February 22, 2012, 03:43:07 PM
yes, i'm getting an ip address by dialling ***1, also seeing the ip on the status page, just cant dial out

How can you see the status page when the OBi is connected directly to the modem with no router in the loop?

thaison

that was prior, during the direct connection to the modem i got an ip via ***1 also.

RonR

Quote from: thaison on February 22, 2012, 03:46:10 PM
that was prior, during the direct connection to the modem i got an ip via ***1 also.

What kind of service (DSL/Cable) and which modem do you have?

Stewart

Most DSL modems, even when set for external PPPoE, will hand out a 192.168.x.x address by DHCP, so that you can easily view modem status and change modem settings.  However, you can't access the Internet by this path.  If the OBi got such an address, the "direct to modem" test was not meaningful.

Please post both modem make/model, router make/model, and any special settings you have configured in either.

thaison

the cable modem is scienctific atlanta, model # dpc2100.   I for got to add that i have this set up at two other houses.  The setup was  a snap.  the cable modems are the same  i all 3 houses.  again the first two was a snap to setup.

router=cisco  model e10000-rm

RonR

thaison,

The OBi should work (as a test to eliminate your router as the source of the problem) connected directly to your cable modem.  It's imporatant to power-cycle BOTH the OBI and the cable modem after making this connection.

I would suggest taking your OBi to one of the other two successful installations and connecting it there (with the resident OBi there temporarily disconnected) to verify that you have a working unit.

thaison

ok, i will do that ty, will post results when i get back
  thank you