News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Need Help Where To Download A Previous Obi200 Firmware Update

Started by graybeard47, September 14, 2019, 04:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

graybeard47

My Obi200 unit suddenly just stopped working: It will ring on an incoming call with no other functions-not even a dial tone.  Searching the internet and this forum it seems that those that have encountered the same problem having the 5898x firmware in place, reverting  back to the 5859 firmware, gained total function.

1. Will someone please direct me to the location where the previous firmware updates for download are located

2. The proper steps to manually install the downloaded update.

I very much appreciate the help.

Rich

drgeoff

Probably better to update to 5921 but I wouldn't count on any firmware curing your problem.

graybeard47

Quote from: drgeoff on September 15, 2019, 02:30:22 AM
Probably better to update to 5921 but I wouldn't count on any firmware curing your problem.

I appreciate the above response to go forward to the newer firmware update 5921 rather backwards, but still need to know:

1. Where to download: firmware update 5921

2. The proper steps to manually install the firmware as the Obi200 has no dial tone to assist in an automatic update.

All lights are green on the unit.

I realize that the update is a far reach, but I have nothing to loose before "paying" for support, again that is not very timely to get things up and running

azrobert

Download:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw

Enter the IP address of the OBi200 into an internet browser
The default userid and password are both "admin"
Click on the following:
System Management -> Device Update
Follow instructions under Firmware Update

Edit:
Make sure you have a working phone.

azrobert

If the fw doesn't fix the OBi200, try a factory reset.

Before the reset go to:
System Management -> Auto Provisioning
Copy the non-default settings under OBiTalk Provisioning

There is a reset button access hole on the bottom of the device
Press and hold the reset button with a paper clip until the lights start to flash
Restore the saved settings
Click Submit on the bottom of the page
Click reboot on the top of the page
The config "should" download to the device

azrobert

Quote from: graybeard47 on September 15, 2019, 07:57:13 AM
I realize that the update is a far reach, but I have nothing to loose before "paying" for support, again that is not very timely to get things up and running

Don't waste your time and money, just buy a new OBi200.

graybeard47

"Don't waste your time and money, just buy a new OBi200."

The above quote from azrobert on this subject really came calling after manually installing the new firmware and doing a factory reset that did nothing for this Obi200 to be actually functional.

So my question, is my unit that is closely approaching 4 years old already deficient  in enough ways as a newer unit is more user and technically more friendly for basic use?

And if a newer unit is purchased, is the setup just plug and use from my hell experienced on m first round around 4 years ago?

Thanks

drgeoff

A new OBi200 will give you the same configuration and use experience that your current one did.

SteveInWA

You may or may not have a hardware problem.  You started your discussion by jumping to an assumed solution, rather than diagnosing the problem.

Here is the guideline: if your device fails these tests, then it has a non-repairable hardware failure, and it is time to buy a new one:

• Perform the "restore to factory defaults" procedure, using the paper-clip method (if you need more details, ask).
  • Plug a standard touch tone telephone's cord into the phone jack on the OBi.  Do not attach it to any premises wiring.
  • Pick up the phone.  Do you hear a dial tone?  If not, try a different telephone and cord.  If you hear a dial tone, then the device is likely OK.  If you don't, and the device will not respond to pressing ***1, then it is dead.  Buy a new one.

What happens?