News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

SIP OFFLINE ALERT 3x in 24 hours

Started by JohnNW, September 28, 2019, 08:16:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnNW

I have had the OBI200 for a little over a year and it mostly works fine. Sometimes maybe once in 1 or 2 months it will go offline and need a power cycle. I have now received the email with subject line "SIP OFFLINE ALERT" three different times in the last 24 hours. I'm not complaining about the email itself, that is not the problem. My OBI200 actually has been going offline, and that is the problem.

My internet service has been stable recently and everything else on my network continues to work as expected. When I power-cycle the OBI200, it works again. How do I troubleshoot this? I can login to the web interface on my OBI200 but it is not clear what has gone wrong. I notice the center LED (network activity) light on the device is always flickering, slightly irregularly, indicating constant network traffic even though there is no phone activity. The other two lights (power and phone icon) are always solid green.

Note: On the "Device Admin" tab I can change the admin password from the 'admin' default, but when the unit is rebooted the original default password is back again. Is this intended behavior? Do I have the right firmware?

On the "System Status" tab in the web interface it says among other things:
ModelName   OBi200
HardwareVersion   1.4
SoftwareVersion   3.2.2 (Build: 5898EX)

Thanks for any assistance!

drgeoff

The later 5921 version firmware and how to load it are available from the firmware section of these forums. Though I would not count on it resolving your issue.

azrobert

Try turning on Keep Alive. It's found under SPx Service. Just check the box. Do this from OBi Expert.

You can't change the PW via local interface, OBiTalk will overlay it. Click on the gear icon from the OBiTalk dashboard. It's the Webpage Admin PW.

JohnNW

Thanks for the note about configuring via OBiTALK, which I didn't realize I was supposed to do. I see on obitalk.com/obinet/pg/obhdev/config/... after going through OBi Dashboard / Gear Icon/ Device Configuration / OBi Expert Configuration / Enter OBi Expert / Voice Services / SP1 Service there is a long list of items including "X_KeepAliveEnable" and that box is checked in the ObiTALK Settings column, although the "value" column box is checked but greyed out, and there is a red exclamation mark next to that box. Don't know what any of that really means.

azrobert

It looks like your service provider is GV. Keep Alive is automatically enabled during the GV setup, so this isn't your problem.

FYI, to update a setting you have to uncheck the OBiTalk box. If the setting is at default, the Device Default box will become checked. Uncheck that box. Now you will be able to modify the setting.

JohnNW

Regarding new firmware, I see there is http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=9.0 suggests for my OBi200 device the latest is OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw  3-2-2-5921EX
Last Update March 2019.

I have not tried to update the fw before. I am using Google Voice which had some setup process, and as I recall I had to do something else to enable a subscription 911 service (Anveo E911), and I don't even remember all the steps that were required. Would I have to reconfigure my setup after installing new firmware?

azrobert

Download here:
http://fw.obihai.com/OBi202-3-2-2-5921EX-332148940.fw

Login locally
Go to System Management => Device Update

Under Firmware Update find the downloaded file and click Update

You won't have to re-configure

JohnNW

I did update FW, but that didn't prevent the OFFLINE thing from happening again. When I try making a call in that state, I hear something like "network status... IP address not available, Reason 00" as described here: http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=6396.0
Power-cycling my OBi200 unit fixes it, as usual.

I *suspect* what happens is that there's a brief power glitch (had some lightning/thunder yesterday) that nobody even notices EXCEPT FOR the OBi200 and/or my router.  The OBi is still up (and it is using a static IP address), the router is still up, the logs don't show a reboot, but the router somehow no longer recognizes the OBi until the OBi is power-cycled.  In case of interest my router is "Linksys EA6350 Dual-Band Wireless-AC Gigabit Router" which its debug output says is running OpenWrt/Linaro GCC 4.8-2014.01 r40864.

Maybe the simplest solution is to just put the router and the OBi on a UPS.

I may also have a basic misunderstanding about how routers work. I know that LAN IP addresses can be setup as allocated by DHCP configured at the router, or as a static IP configured at the device. You can also set within the router a DHCP reserved address, inside the DHCP pool of IP address, linked to a specific MAC address.  Until now I had my OBi200 set to a static address outside of my router's DHCP pool and that worked, except occasionally as noted above.  I did not explicitly tell my router anything about this static address and there's no obvious way to do so. Another thing I can do is set a DHCP reserved address inside the DHCP address pool for my OBi200 MAC in the router, and then also set my OBi200 to that same IP as a static IP. I don't know if that is "proper" but it does work. I'm not sure if it is more or less reliable in cases of momentary power failure, than the un-reserved static IP outside the DHCP pool.

SteveInWA

There is no reason at all to assign a static IP address.  Just revert everything back to default, and see if the error goes away.

ontarget52

Was this issue ever resolved? I have been having the same problem for about two months. Is it time to replace my Obi202?

The Obi202 does not automatically reconnect. I have to cycle power to get SIP RECOVERED ALERT. This morning it lasted 1 hour and 36 minutes from SIP RECOVERED ALERT to the next SIP OFFLINE ALERT. This is while powered by a fresh 12 volt 7 ampere-hour battery, so I have ruled out input power as the problem.