News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Blinking phone icon *again*

Started by MikeE, September 28, 2019, 09:45:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeE

My OBI200 went into its blinking phone icon mode again yesterday for several hours.  In that condition, I can neither get nor receive calls.  I can not get a dial tone.  I cannot get the echo server.  I can access the Obi webpage by IP address.  My router is configured to have the Obi MAC in the DMZ and the router reports the device connection OK.  I don't know how to troubleshoot other than rebooting the Obi, rebooting the router, and looking at the Obi internal webpage and the Obi website dashboard. 

One possibility is that there is some kind of hardware or powersupply problem with the Obi as was mentioned the last time I reported this in Aug http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=16201.msg100494#msg100494.  My Obi is barely less than one year from purchase.  The Obi manual 1 Year Warranty says, "To request an RMA, please contact the party from whom you purchased the product."  That doesn't make any sense to me; I purchased the product from WalMart.  If there is an RMA process, ObiHai should provide it, not Walmart.

Earlier when I had this problem, someone suggested that I replace the PS.  Yesterday I ordered a new PS, but today the Obi is working again.  Coincidentally or not, both times it has gone into this failure mode, that followed a very long telephone conversation.  As my Obi VoIP is via Google Voice, I wonder if there is some kind of throttle triggered by a long session.  I'm grasping at straws here.

Blinking phone icon means, the power icon is steady green, the internet icon is mostly solid green with occasional activity flashes, the phone icon is flashing green, which is supposed to represent a phone in use, but that icon's flashing is 'incorrect'.  Apparently something else makes that happen, which is the problem.  My phone's screen annunciates when a line is in use, which is NOT the case in this problem.

azrobert

Is you phone connected directly to the OBi200 or thru your home wiring?

SteveInWA

When the phone LED is blinking, unplug the telephone cord from the OBiTALK device.  Does it stop blinking?  If so, it's a defective phone, or, if you are feeding it into your house wiring, there's a wiring issue or another phone that is off-hook or defective.

RE:  RMA, contact Poly for support, not Walmart.

https://www.obitalk.com/info/support/supportTicketForm

MikeE

Quote from: azrobert on September 28, 2019, 11:00:45 AM
Is you phone connected directly to the OBi200 or thru your home wiring?

To the home wiring.  There are numerous other phones on the home wiring, but none of them are/were offhook.  If I experiment w/ an offhook situation, my 3 cordless phones which have a display panel announce a line in use.  When I connected the Obi to the house phones line on installation, it was necessary to disconnect the old landline provider connection to the house phone line to get proper performance.  The number of phones connected has been working fine for about a year.  Typically I'm only using one of 3 cordless phones which have a display panel which annunciates such as the caller number or the time or messages or that a line is in use or programming related information.

MikeE

Quote from: SteveInWA on September 28, 2019, 01:33:33 PM
When the phone LED is blinking, unplug the telephone cord from the OBiTALK device.  Does it stop blinking?  If so, it's a defective phone, or, if you are feeding it into your house wiring, there's a wiring issue or another phone that is off-hook or defective.

Aha.  Good move.  The next time it happens I'll check that step out.  I'm quite positive nothing caused any phones to be offhook.  I'm sure that an offhook phone isn't the real problem even tho' that is what the blinking icon is *supposed to* mean.

Ah, so.  That makes more sense.  Tnx.

YAGITA

Quote from: MikeE link=topic=16283.msg 101006#msg101006 date=1569716824
When the phone LED is blinking, unplug the t my ip birthday wishes tneb elephone cord from the OBiTALK device.  Does it stop blinking?  If so, it's a defective phone, or, if you are feeding it into your house wiring, there's a wiring issue or another phone that is off-hook or defective.

Aha.  Good move.  The next time it happens I'll check that step out.  I'm quite positive nothing caused any phones to be offhook.  I'm sure that an offhook phone isn't the real problem even tho' that is what the blinking icon is *supposed to* mean.

RE:  RMA, contact Poly for support, not Walmart.

Ah, so.  That makes more sense.  Tnx.
Earlier when I had this problem, someone suggested that I replace the PS.  Yesterday I ordered a new PS, but today the Obi is working again.  Coincidentally or not, both times it has gone into this failure mode, that followed a very long telephone conversation.  As my Obi VoIP is via Google Voice, I wonder if there is some kind of throttle triggered by a long session.  I'm grasping at straws here.

SteveInWA

Quote from: YAGITA on December 27, 2019, 01:17:33 PM
Quote from: MikeE on September 28, 2019, 05:27:04 PM

Aha.  Good move.  The next time it happens I'll check that step out.  I'm quite positive nothing caused any phones to be offhook.  I'm sure that an offhook phone isn't the real problem even tho' that is what the blinking icon is *supposed to* mean.

Ah, so.  That makes more sense.  Tnx.
Earlier when I had this problem, someone suggested that I replace the PS.  Yesterday I ordered a new PS, but today the Obi is working again.  Coincidentally or not, both times it has gone into this failure mode, that followed a very long telephone conversation.  As my Obi VoIP is via Google Voice, I wonder if there is some kind of throttle triggered by a long session.  I'm grasping at straws here.

Google Voice's call duration limit is three hours.  At that point, the call will be disconnected, but you can call back if you wish.