News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Setting up Obi 202 with HP inkjet printer/scanner/fax machine

Started by RobertNYC, September 30, 2019, 08:33:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RobertNYC

I just received and installed the Polycom branded version of the OBI 202. Everything was quick and easy. I have two GV numbers set up as SIP1 and SIP2 on Phone Line 1. On Phone Line 2 I used yet a third GV number to try to set up a dedicated fax line. I unplugged the telephone line (that came with the HP machine) from the wall phone jack and plugged it into the Phone Line 2 jack on the OBI.  (The other end remains plugged into LINE 1 on the HP device.) I configured it as I did the two phone lines on the other phone line, and it shows as "connected."

I tried to send a test fax to my office fax machine (not at my residence), but I found this morning that nothing had transmitted.

I'm curious about a couple of things. First, is it correct to just connect the fax machine directly to the OBI, or is some different (or additional) connection required? Also, when entering the fax number (on the HP machine) to send a fax, I assume I must I type in **3 (to designate SP3, which is on Phone Line 2). Is this correct? 

Are there any other suggestions as to configuration and/or the physical wiring set up of the devices that might allow the fax to function?

Thanks!

LTN1

From your description, you appear to have done it correctly.

Try faxing to this number (don't send anything confidential): 1-213-294-2943

Then after a few minutes, see if it shows up to the testing web site here: https://www.faxtoy.net/

On a side note, you may want to test incoming faxes. SPs 2, 3, and 4 typically uses different incoming ring patterns (unless you configure it to have the same ring patterns as SP1) and some fax machines may require adjusting to be able to detect those different ring patterns. The safest way is to have the incoming ring patterns ring just like SP1--which is your typical ring pattern for most phone lines.

RobertNYC

Thank you for your response. I just saw it and am at my office. When I get home, I'll try your suggestion and see what happens.

jereinewi

Do you understand how the OBi 200 works?  it has three connections:  power, telephone and LAN.  The LAN connection can be either via an Ethernet cable or the OBiWiFi dongle. My Coles The multifunction printer/fax, like all fax machines, uses analog telephone lines.  You would need to plug the fax machine's telephone cord into the OBi.

Aside from that, Google Voice is intended for talking and texting, not faxing.  It may or may not work reliably or even at all, and it's not supported.  Furthermore, if you were to only use the number to receive inbound faxes, your number would be reclaimed in six months.

LTN1

Quote from: jereinewi on October 03, 2019, 11:39:57 PM
Do you understand how the OBi 200 works?  it has three connections:  power, telephone and LAN.  The LAN connection can be either via an Ethernet cable or the OBiWiFi dongle.  The multifunction printer/fax, like all fax machines, uses analog telephone lines.  You would need to plug the fax machine's telephone cord into the OBi.

As a first post, you should consider reading the OP's description better. Lecturing him on the connectors and where to plug the fax machine in is completely irrelevant as the OP has clearly shown that he is connecting the telephone lines correctly. 

QuoteAside from that, Google Voice is intended for talking and texting, not faxing.  It may or may not work reliably or even at all, and it's not supported.  Furthermore, if you were to only use the number to receive inbound faxes, your number would be reclaimed in six months.

While GV was originally intended for talking and texting only, one of the tested abilities of OBi devices with the use of GV is to be able to send and receive faxes. It is clearly marketed as such and for most people (not all), faxing using the OBi device and GV works. When faxing doesn't work, it often has to do with the user's network and poor internet connection than with the OBi device.