News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Obi202 2nd Line Can't Receive Incoming GV Call

Started by MichelWelding, October 15, 2019, 09:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MichelWelding

Ok, first time poster within Obi forums, but long time lurker. I'm stumped.

I have an Obi202 connected through a Google Mesh router. I have 2 different GV numbers going to the 202. I can make calls out on both numbers fine, but I can only receive incoming calls on the 2nd GV line.

I have tried everything I can think of, I've deleted app permissions from Google, reset the 202 (multiple times from both Goggle accounts), I've switched around SP1 and SP2 to try the different jack in the back.....nada. The LED for which phone is ringing on the front does nothing when I call GV line 1 but does blink the way it should when I call the other line).

Call status on the web page doesn't show missed calls, call in progress, nada for GV line 1 but does for everything to do with line 2.

I have read all through this thread to no avail;
http://www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=13868.0
Which really isn't my problem anyway as 3/4 of my setup is working.

I'm really stumped, I feel like it's something so small that I'm missing... :-\

Wanted to add, if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move...

drgeoff

With your browser logged in to the Google account that your problem phone number is in go to https://voice.google.com/settings and if necessary click on "Account" at the top of the column at the left edge.  Verify that the expected number is shown under "Google Voice Number".  Scroll down to the "Calls" heading and the area below that which starts with

My devices
Turn on the devices that you want to answer calls on

Is your OBi shown there and with the slider switch to the right?

MichelWelding

Quote from: drgeoff on October 15, 2019, 11:15:01 AM
With your browser logged in to the Google account that your problem phone number is in go to https://voice.google.com/settings and if necessary click on "Account" at the top of the column at the left edge.  Verify that the expected number is shown under "Google Voice Number".  Scroll down to the "Calls" heading and the area below that which starts with

My devices
Turn on the devices that you want to answer calls on

Is your OBi shown there and with the slider switch to the right?

Yes, it shows the Obi and gives the option to receive calls through it which is checked on.

Right account, right #, and I can even call out on that #, just can't get calls in.

Thanks for your suggestions though!

SteveInWA

The first step to troubleshoot this (well, after verifying what Geoff asked), is to separate Google Voice from the OBiTALK device and re-test.

Unplug the OBi from power.  Sign into the problematic Google Voice account on a web browser.  Link (add) a real, 10-digit US telephone number as a forwarding number.  Call your Google Voice number from some unrelated number.  The expected behavior is that the linked phone number will ring, and you can answer the call and you have two-way audio.

MichelWelding

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 15, 2019, 02:08:51 PM
The first step to troubleshoot this (well, after verifying what Geoff asked), is to separate Google Voice from the OBiTALK device and re-test.

Unplug the OBi from power.  Sign into the problematic Google Voice account on a web browser.  Link (add) a real, 10-digit US telephone number as a forwarding number.  Call your Google Voice number from some unrelated number.  The expected behavior is that the linked phone number will ring, and you can answer the call and you have two-way audio.

I can receive calls on this number. It is forwarded to other cell phones as we speak. This works. It rings 2 other phones (cell phones), and the web interface all at the same time.

SteveInWA

Well, you didn't confirm that you unplugged the unit and tested, but I'll move on.

You didn't explicitly state how you are connecting the OBi device to the router -- via an Ethernet cable, or over WiFi.  Which is it?

There were some un-resolved issues with Google mesh routers not working with Google Voice (how ironic).  Can you take the device somewhere else, that has a different router?

MichelWelding

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 16, 2019, 02:38:19 PM
Well, you didn't confirm that you unplugged the unit and tested, but I'll move on.

You didn't explicitly state how you are connecting the OBi device to the router -- via an Ethernet cable, or over WiFi.  Which is it?

There were some un-resolved issues with Google mesh routers not working with Google Voice (how ironic).  Can you take the device somewhere else, that has a different router?

Yes Sir, unplugged and tested. Obi is connected through Ethernet to a switch that is connected to the Google Mesh (only 1).

Yes Sir, I can take it somewhere else to test. What I find mind boggling is that there's 2 GV #'s attached to the Obi, one works flawless as it should. No issues whatsoever. I can delete, remove and add and every time it works regardless of SP1 or SP2 or SP3. The other # will NOT work no matter what I do.....?  

Will take somewhere else to test and report back, thanks for the suggestion.

SteveInWA

You have a good point, about one number working, but the other doesn't work.  I can't explain it at this time, but after you try it elsewhere, we can move ahead to more troubleshooting tests.

MichelWelding

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 17, 2019, 01:39:37 PM
You have a good point, about one number working, but the other doesn't work.  I can't explain it at this time, but after you try it elsewhere, we can move ahead to more troubleshooting tests.

Tried it tonight at my house. Plugged it in, waited for a bit for everything to boot up, called both #'s and same deal:(

One works....one doesn't. To an extent, this is driving me mad, lol

I really appreciate everyone's time / suggestions / help though.

SteveInWA

It is very difficult to troubleshoot this, without seeing your OBiTALK and Google Voice configurations.

Here's my suggestion:  on the Google/Gmail account that holds the Google Voice number that isn't working with the OBi, change the password temporarily.  PM me the Gmail address and password.  I will provision it on my spare 202 and tell you what happens.  I almost never make this offer, but I think this is the fastest way to sort this out.

A good question is:  can you trust me with your password?  If it helps, I'm the leading Product Expert on the official Google Voice help community forum, with over a decade of supporting users, and over 50,000 posts.  If it turns out that there is something actually wrong with this account, I can work with you to escalate it to Google Voice engineering.

MichelWelding

Quote from: SteveInWA on October 17, 2019, 05:59:55 PM
It is very difficult to troubleshoot this, without seeing your OBiTALK and Google Voice configurations.

Here's my suggestion:  on the Google/Gmail account that holds the Google Voice number that isn't working with the OBi, change the password temporarily.  PM me the Gmail address and password.  I will provision it on my spare 202 and tell you what happens.  I almost never make this offer, but I think this is the fastest way to sort this out.

A good question is:  can you trust me with your password?  If it helps, I'm the leading Product Expert on the official Google Voice help community forum, with over a decade of supporting users, and over 50,000 posts.  If it turns out that there is something actually wrong with this account, I can work with you to escalate it to Google Voice engineering.

Good morning Sir, scary proposition but I'll take it. PM sent.

MichelWelding

@SteveInWA helped me tremendously. All problems solved. I like to post solutions, so I'll just copy / paste what Steve told me to do;

Since no progress has been made so far, let's perform this clean-up procedure:
Assumption:  you have a different gmail.com account, that currently does not have its own Google Voice number.  You went through the procedure to select a new number on that account, and you got as far as accepting Google's Terms of Use, and then you exited out of the procedure, so you did not claim a number.
Assumption:  you removed (clicked the blue "DELETE DEVICE" button after clicking on the device name) you own OBiTALK device and my previously-added OBiTALK device from your OBiTALK dashboard.
Open two different Incognito browsing windows (press Ctrl-Shift-N on Google Chrome Browser or press Ctrl-Shift-P on Firefox).
In the first window, sign into the Gmail account that holds the number now.  Go here:  https://www.google.com/voice/redirection/voice#phones
Delete all linked phone numbers and OBiTALK devices (including my test unit that we previously added).
In the other window, sign into the Gmail account that you'll use as the destination to transfer the number, and open the same Google Voice settings page.
Click the "Transfer" link next to the Google Voice number, from the original Gmail account to the empty Gmail account.
If you ran into any problem so far, stop and report what happened.  If the number properly transferred over, then...
Go to your OBiTALK dashboard, add your own OBiTALK device back again, via the **5 xxxx procedure, then set up Google Voice on it's SP1, this time making sure you link it to the Gmail account that now holds the number.
Test inbound and outbound calling, and tell me what happened.

SteveInWA

YAY!!!  That was an ordeal.  I am sorry it took so long, but I'm relieved that my procedure worked.