News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Google Voice latency with distant area code?

Started by StudioD, October 16, 2019, 06:13:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StudioD

I'm setting up a new OBi200 box with a Google Voice number I'm about to acquire but first, a question.

If I live in the northeastern U.S. but choose a California area code, will that cause latency on my calls due to them being routed back and forth across the country between the area code's location and my actual location?

SteveInWA

No.  Your physical location, and the location of your phone number, make absolutely no difference.

This is VoIP telephony, using very low-latency, carrier-grade networks, and geographically-balanced servers and switches.

StudioD

Thanks, SteveInWA. When I searched for info on this subject I found discussions from people experiencing delays with their phone ringing on incoming calls which they attributed to using an area code in another part of the country.  So even if there's no latency on the voice quality, what about the incoming rings? Does routing to a distant area code possibly affect that?

SteveInWA

Whatever you may have read is incorrect.  There is no delay.  Give it a try.

zapattack

The area code doesn't route.
It is just a reference number in a database somewhere.
Only the call routes from one place to another, the same way your
internet connection gets your PC to a web page.

SteveInWA

CALTYA, would you PLEASE stop posting in so many old discussion threads with miscellaneous problems?

If you haven't noticed yet, we are ignoring you because you are just spamming random words across the forum.

If you have one definable problem, then start your own discussion and clearly describe exactly what your real problem is.