News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

OBi1032 No Longer Connecting to Internet - Ethernet Connected

Started by Deeve, October 17, 2019, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deeve

Hi All,

I've been using an OBi1032 for a little over a year now. No problems whatsoever until this morning. The phone is connected to a switch using an ethernet cable but is not connecting to the network. It does not display an IP address in the settings menu and doesn't give me an IP address when I call for one. Currently, the phone has an orange light to the right of the "back" button lit and an icon on the top of the screen that shows a red X over the LAN symbol.

I have tried the following to no avail:
- Unplug the power cable and ethernet cable, wait and plug them back in
- Unplug the router, switch, ethernet cable, wait for them to reset and plug them back in
- factory reset
- an echo test call by pressing **9 222 222 222 - receive the three beeps "call cannot be completed" sound.
- FW update through phone - it says Firmware update not available - probably because it's not connecting to outside internet.
- tried switching ethernet port on switch and using a different ethernet cable
- did a google voice test call from my wife's phone to my cell phone - call worked perfectly. GV is still 100% operational.

I don't know what to do at this point. Nothing has changed in my internet setup. Every other internet-connected device - wired and wireless - is receiving an internet connection properly.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm at a loss and am basically at the point of just buying a new phone and tossing this one.

Thank you!

SteveInWA

I no longer have a 1000-series phone to examine, but if I recall correctly, they required an AC adapter ("wall wart") that had a higher current rating than the 200 series products.  Do you have a spare adapter you can swap in?

Maybe somebody with a 1000-series phone can look at the adapter's rating and post it here.

drgeoff

Quote from: Deeve on October 17, 2019, 09:26:02 AM
Hi All,

I've been using an OBi1032 for a little over a year now. No problems whatsoever until this morning. The phone is connected to a switch using an ethernet cable but is not connecting to the network. It does not display an IP address in the settings menu and doesn't give me an IP address when I call for one. Currently, the phone has an orange light to the right of the "back" button lit and an icon on the top of the screen that shows a red X over the LAN symbol.

I have tried the following to no avail:
- Unplug the power cable and ethernet cable, wait and plug them back in
- Unplug the router, switch, ethernet cable, wait for them to reset and plug them back in
- factory reset
- an echo test call by pressing **9 222 222 222 - receive the three beeps "call cannot be completed" sound.
- FW update through phone - it says Firmware update not available - probably because it's not connecting to outside internet.
- tried switching ethernet port on switch and using a different ethernet cable
- did a google voice test call from my wife's phone to my cell phone - call worked perfectly. GV is still 100% operational.

I don't know what to do at this point. Nothing has changed in my internet setup. Every other internet-connected device - wired and wireless - is receiving an internet connection properly.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I'm at a loss and am basically at the point of just buying a new phone and tossing this one.

Thank you!
You have not said that you tried the obvious test of using another ethernet cable and plugging it in to one of the router ports that you know is OK by virtue of another device currently working through it.

And do ensure that the cable is plugged into the correct jack on the 1032.  It isn't unknown for someone other than yourself to have accidentally caused the cable to become unplugged and then unwittingly put it back in the wrong socket.

Deeve

Thank you for the responses, SteveInWA and drgeoff.

The adapter issue is one that I haven't been able to troubleshoot. If I find that there aren't any other options, I'll probably buy a replacement adapter before I buy a replacement phone.

drgeoff, thank you for asking about the ethernet cable. I forgot to mention that in my post but I did try an ethernet cable connected to a device that was still successfully connecting to the network/internet and received the same results: orange light lit to the right of the back button and a LAN symbol with a red X over it.

Is there anything else y'all think I could try other than a replacement power adapter?

SteveInWA

I don't think there is anything else to try, aside from swapping out the AC adapter.

This one should work:  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HNL5D56

Deeve

I ordered a new power adapter and tried that this morning. Unfortunately, no luck. I think I'm probably going to cut my losses and purchase a new phone.

I had read that support for the 1000 series phones has been discontinued at some point by GV. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, would the OBi2062 be a suitable replacement? I'm using the phone for work from a home office with two GV lines.

Thank you for your help!

drgeoff

Quote from: Deeve on October 21, 2019, 07:17:16 AM
I had read that support for the 1000 series phones has been discontinued at some point by GV. Does anyone know if that's true?
Not true.

Before giving up I would try configuring the phone with a static IP address appropriate for your LAN. That can be done using the screen and keys on the phone.

SteveInWA

If so, would the OBi2062 be a suitable replacement? I'm using the phone for work from a home office with two GV lines.

The OBi 2162 or 2182 are the recommended replacement products.

Deeve

Quote from: drgeoff on October 21, 2019, 09:34:00 AM
I had read that support for the 1000 series phones has been discontinued at some point by GV. Does anyone know if that's true?
Not true.

Before giving up I would try configuring the phone with a static IP address appropriate for your LAN. That can be done using the screen and keys on the phone.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction for how to do that? I did a search on the forum but did not come across anything. Could be I didn't search for the right terms.

drgeoff

Quote from: Deeve on October 21, 2019, 12:47:15 PM
Quote from: drgeoff on October 21, 2019, 09:34:00 AM
Not true.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction for how to do that? I did a search on the forum but did not come across anything. Could be I didn't search for the right terms.
Move to the Configuration icon and press the round tick button.  Top item on next screen should be Network. Press the round button again.  Use the Down key to scroll down to Addressing Type.  Press the > soft key to change from DHCP to Static. Press the Down key to get to the next line IP address.  Press the Edit softkey and enter IP address.  Continue to similarly input subnet, gateway and DNS1 then press the Reboot softkey.

SteveInWA

Quote from: dircom on October 22, 2019, 02:39:28 PM
Quote from: SteveInWA on October 21, 2019, 11:27:16 AM
If so, would the OBi2062 be a suitable replacement? I'm using the phone for work from a home office with two GV lines.

The OBi 2162 or 2182 are the recommended replacement products.
Kind of weird you can't really find them on the internet.

???  Amazon is "on the Internet".    The alternatives are sketchy - never buy an OBiTALK device on eBay, for example, as they may be provider-locked or internally defective/used.

dircom

Odd that these new phones are not mentioned at Obitalk.com or Polycom. (I take that back the 2182 is on Polycom's website.)

SteveInWA

This has been previously discussed here several times.

There are two different Google Voice services.

The original, [mostly] free, consumer version of Google Voice only supports OBiTALK devices in the 200, 1000 and 2000 families.

The new, paid, business-class version of Google Voice for G Suite customers only supports the Poly VVX-x50 family.

You cannot use the 200, 1000 nor 2000 products on the G Suite version of Google Voice, and you cannot use the VVX-x50 products on the consumer version of Google Voice.   They cannot be made to work on the wrong service.