News:

On Tuesday September 6th the forum will be down for maintenance from 9:30 PM to 11:59 PM PDT

Main Menu

Funky issues with obi-2062. SW port not working. GV is not working properly.

Started by Zopa, October 22, 2019, 09:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zopa

Just purchased a brand new OBI-2062 phone. Software version 6.2.2 (Build: 4788.1311).

Out of the box the phone won't connect to Ethernet on SW port. Tried a few cables and switches, played with duplex, etc., nothing works, no connection, not even a light on a switch. However, plugging a cable into PC port works. The phone comes alive. Weird, but ok, as long as it works.

Registered the phone to OBi account and configure GV on SP1. The process goes smoothly and uneventfully. SP1 status on the dashboard is "Connected". I can pick up a phone line on a key set to SP1. However, no calls get to or from the phone. Calls to the phone, ring until GV Vmail picks up. Calls from the phone just hang with an hourglass spinning. Checking GV account I don't see expected "OBi device - xxxxxxxx". Tried removing GV config and redoing it a few times, nothing works.

I tried the same GV account with a regular OBi-202 device and analog phone, everything works like a charm.

Any ideas? TIA

Zopa

Here is from the call status, trying to make an outbound call. It will stay like this indefinitely.

Zopa

Forgot to mention. Updating the firmware was the first thing I tried. Got a message "Firmware update not available". Same story from Obinet portal, there was no icon to update the firmware. However, today the phone started to work with GV automagically. Checking the firmware version, I see that it's 6.2.3 (build 4907.1311). I presume it auto-updated overnight.

SW ethernet port is still useless, but it's fine, as long as I can get the phone on the network via a PC port. Weird though.

The whole thing makes me think that OBi has absolutely zero QA. To sell a phone that doesn't do two essential functions out of the box is unacceptable. I was about to return it.

SteveInWA

The firmware update fixed the issue.  That particular model phone is not a high-volume seller, and it is to be expected that whatever firmware was loaded on it at manufacture is now downlevel.  The ***6 firmware update method doesn't seem to do anything with the 2000 series.  Normally, when you provision Google Voice on an OBiTALK device for the first time, it should update its firmware.  I have no idea why that didn't happen immediately, but now you've got the current version.

As for the switch port not working, I'd send it back to the seller as defective and get it replaced.  I've installed a lot of OBiTALK products over the past decade, and I have never seen this issue, so you just happened to be the winner of the defective unit.... unless, of course, it's a simple matter of one of the RJ-45 jack's pins being bent.

Zopa

I replaced the phone and indeed it was the physical port issue. Now I have the same firmware problem. Is there a way to force an update? I have no idea how the other phone got updated. Perhaps something happens overnight?